Top broken off my tap

The top has broken off my washbasin hot tap. I need help to get the broken lower part out of the tap. I've put photos at

can be clicked on to enlarge. I've removed the top from the other cold tap (tap001.jpg). The broken top half of the hot tap is shown in tap002.jpg. My problem is getting the bit still in the hot tap out. It's shown in tap003.jpg. I've tried mole grips on the protruding bit but it doesn't want to shift. Is there anything I can do, otherwise I'm going to to have to change both taps. any replies gratefully received. Pete

Reply to
Peter Bull

Changing both taps might be the appropriate option here.

PoP

-----

My published email address probably won't work. If you need to contact me please submit your comments via the web form at

apologise for the additional effort, however the level of unsolicited email I receive makes it impossible to advertise my real email address!

Reply to
PoP

Coor! Didn't know they used plastic now. I look forward to seeing the suggestions.

Reply to
John

Spend £12 on a new pair. I think that wins the Effort vs. Expenditure battle.

Reply to
Toby

For what a new set of good quality taps cost, (sub £15), fit a new pair. ..

SJW A.C.S. Ltd.

Reply to
Lurch

You appear still to have a reasonable hexagon left on the bit in the tap. Try to find a ring or socket spanner which is *slightly* too small, and hammer it on. [Don't use too much force when hammering, or you'll break the basin!]

If you can't shift it with a ring or socket spanner, use a pad saw to make two vertical cuts on opposite sides of the inside of the broken bit. Then get a flat piece of metal (similar to a wide, thin screwdriver bit) which will slide into your cuts - and twist it with mole grips.

If none of this works, it's new taps!

Reply to
Set Square

Yack Plastic tap heads, if all else fails attack it with a pad saw then hammer and something pointed. Even B&Q do replacement brass tap heads for 98p

Reply to
Mark