Toolstation - I take back all the good things I said

Rant time.

I've often stated how much I like Toolstation, and how I try to use them as an alternative to Screwfix. This came to an abrupt end today.

I placed an order on Monday for a single item (a car starter + inverter), and paid extra for before 12pm delivery. That means it should have gone out on Tuesday, and reached me by Wed noon.

It didn't. It arrived today (Thursday) at 4pm. I can live with that, no big problem. I need it for the weekend, so today is fine.

But it was smashed to pieces. I phoned Toolstation, expecting them to offer to send one out today, to arrive tomorrow. They didn't. They said they'd have to arrange collection, and only when they receive the item and verify that it's broken will they send out a replacement.

I spoke to the shift supervisor, who basically repeated the above. She suggested I order another one today (paying a second time), which should reach me tomorrow. I told her that as a regular customer over the past 2 years I'm mightily pissed off, and wouldn't be ordering from them again.

When I've had similar problems with broken items with Screwfix, Axminster and Maplin in the past, they've always sent out a replacement straight away.

Rant over.

Reply to
Grunff

Grunff typed

Whereas I ordered a pile of things from Screwfix online, between 5 and 6 pm on Tuesday, choosing 'normal' (free if order £45) delivery.

It arrived yesterday at midday, in good order...

Reply to
Helen Deborah Vecht

I had this before Xmas. I ordered a £50 box of numerous items of junk from them, mostly patresses and such, paying the extra for quick delivery. After 4 days I rang them and from their reaction, they hadn't even sent the thing. The replacement was sent on a 12 hour delivery.

I have also checked that stock is in the local depot as confirmed by the computer, to discover they don't have anything when I fought my way across town to collect it. .

Reply to
EricP

99.99% of companies start small, bend over backwards to please, then when and if they become large and successful, they invariably stop bending over backwards and have more opportunity to stuff up occasionally or often. Accept it, it's the way of things. However, by all means take your business elsewhere, it's all we can do. I know you know this, think of it as rant medicine ;-)

-- Mike W

Reply to
VisionSet

I know what you mean, but there are exceptions - Screwfix is huge, but continue to deliver the same level of customer service they always have (I know there are delivery problems; but I'm really talking about how they deal with these problems).

Reply to
Grunff

Well that's worth knowing. I've only ever placed one order with Toolstation (which went perfectly smoothly), but I think I'll stick with Screwfix in the future as their policy/practice on damanged goods is much better than that.

Sod 'em!

Reply to
Chris Cowley

I doubt it, you've just been lucky so far, in the same way you *were* lucky before toolstation stuffed up.

-- Mike W

Reply to
VisionSet

For instance, take Screwfix, what a great web site, it makes purchasing at low price so easy. Screwfix provide high tech precision. I order Monday PM, Tuesday morning at 7.20AM the parcel arrives at the local Parcel Force depot. Thursday afternoon Parcel Force rush through my gate with the parcel with not a moment to spare. I suppose Screwfix have to use Parcel Force to conclude the deal within price.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

I agree - looks like they've lost a fair bit of business by treating Grunff unfairly....

Reply to
Steve Walker

Ring Parcel Farce on Thursday 13th to pay VAT on goods arriving from abroad. Told by automated system that delivery will be Friday 14th. At

4pm on Friday I ring to find out where the parcel is to be told they're closed for the bank holiday (which isn't until Monday according to my calender). Parcel finally arrives on Tuesday 18th.

A parcel can get from Canada, clear customs and reach the PF depot in Milton Keynes in two days as part of what is supposed to be a 4-day international express service. It then disappears into a black hole.

On the previous occasion they didn't (a) notify me when the parcel arrived (they no longer attempt to deliver anything with VAT or duty owing), or (b) deliver when they said they would.

Parcel Farce are total W*****s.

Sorry for the rant.

Andrew

Reply to
google

To be fair (and what's so special about fairness?) Toolstation aren't always like that: my son bought a cheapo electric drill last year - they sent the wrong model, that looked as if it had been stored somewhere damp; he rang up, and they sent another "keep the first one". Next day, drill 2 arrived, and it, too, was the wrong model. Rang up, "keep it", and they sent a third. He's happy enough. I've always been very satisfied with the way they've dealt with the odd minor problem. Yesterday's orders with Toolstation and Screwfix were both here by 9.30, delivered by an exceedingly attractive and pleasant young lady from Parcelforce.

It will be handy when the Derby Screwfix opens - I emailed to ask where and when, and all they could/would say was "early May". Toolstation beat them on price for so many items, it's sometimes difficult to reach the 45 quid on things Toolstation don't sell.

Reply to
Autolycus

Nothing I've ever ordered from screwfix has arrived by parcelfarce, always been citylink(?), and even through I never pay for next day delivery it always has been next day ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Andy Burns typed

My recent Screwfix order was delivered by Parcelforce. It arrived the day after it was ordered.

Reply to
Helen Deborah Vecht

Hi, HDV. You miss-splet "Ar54ole Farce". Regards,

Reply to
Chris Bacon

I had cause to call up Toolstation today to complain about the drill in the DeWalt four pack @ £470 which I bought last month. The guy didn't even quibble and has arranged for it to be collected next tuesday and then refunded.

Most suppliers seem to have a policy to only send out replacements on receipt of returns or to take a second payment. The only exceptions are where you hold a monthly credit account with them or if the item is so cheap as to not be worth their while collecting it.

Martyn

Reply to
Martyn Pollard

Ah well, there's the problem. MK postal system is widely known as the Bermuda Triangle; even I know to allow 2 weeks for first-class post into the "city"

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Yes. My experience with parcelfarce was far worse, dont want nothing to do wtih them. I told the regular suppliers not to send stuff by PF any more if they wanted to ensure continued business. Its just not worth it.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I've had similar experiences. The problem with international parcels is that you don't get a choice. Everything coming in by post goes by Parcel Force, or you pay vastly more for the sender to use Fedex, UPS, etc.,

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

Your local depot, yes, maybe, but it varies hugely from depot to depot. Our local one is good, the next one along at Chelmsford is poor.

Reply to
usenet

But Friday 14th was Good Friday - a bank holiday - hence why they were closed.

I suspect their automated system wasn't aware of the bank holiday and therefore happily annouced Friday 14th was your delivery date. Had you paid it on the Friday, I suspect you'd have been told it was Monday 17th for delivery.

To be honest, it was a fault in their system, but they delivered on the first working day after you paid the VAT.

David Hearn