Tools for tree pruning

I've got a batch of tree trimming to do soon; some of the branches are fairly substantial and high but my days of dangling in a tree with a chainsaw are gone. A couple of questions for anyone "in the know":

Are rope saws any good? They only seem to have teeth on one side so how do they stay with the teeth against the branch?

Are there any good deals on electric pruners on extendable poles?

Are there any other toys I should consider?

Reply to
Nospam

see my post earlier this week on Ryobi .... the petrol pruner is a gem. You could probably buy one, do the job and sell it on for what you paid for it

Reply to
Rick Hughes

You could do far worse than a Silky saw. Daft name, I know, but being Japanese that may be allowed. I watched a tree surgeon working recently and I asked to see his handsaw. Then tried it out. Very impressed. The chap told me it is the preferred choice of professional arborealists. An amazing tool, liked it so much I bought one.

is one supplier but there are many others. Purchased mine from ebay. I have no connection with Silky or anybody that supplies their saws. Not cheap but excellent quality. I cannot think of any saw to better this.

Nick.

Reply to
Nick

Could you clarify what size of tree we are talking about?

Reply to
John Rumm

The Ryobi expand-it system looks interesting but the dealer you mentioned doesn't have any listed - I'll give them a call when they get back from hols.

Reply to
Nospam

I'm a convert to Japanese saws for woodwork but the cost of a silky fox pole saw would get me a long way towards a Ryobi petrol pole pruner - which I now have a "tool lust" for ;-)

Reply to
Nospam

I can do the large and reasonably low branches with the chainsaw, but the higher ones are up to about 200mm diameter and up to about 3m high (there's quite a lot above that but I'm resigned to not being able to reach them without using ropes and climbing gear)

Reply to
Nospam

I use one of these:

problem with it sawing through branches even when all four poles are together.

Matt

Reply to
matthelliwell

> No problem with it sawing through branches even when all four poles are together.

Thanks, the poles look as if they would be stiffer than some of the others - tempting. I'm starting to wonder about SECURELY mounting an electric chainsaw on a series of poles ... but I don't want to end-up as a candidate for the Darwin awards!!

Reply to
Nospam

>>> No problem with it sawing through branches even when all four poles are >> together.

i'm surprised no one has made a 1/4 scale model of that helicopter saw from one of the bond movies, be just the thing for jobs like this, start at the top and slowly circle coming down..... put serrated tangs on the rotor blades and it'd lop the main trunk off every few inches too if you get too close :)

Reply to
Gazz

My preference would be a petrol engined pole saw. Stihl Kombi have one in t= heir range and have an accessory 1m extension carbon fibre pole for it. Thi= s would give lots of reach.

There is a skill/knack to lopping branches. You need to under cut slightly = then go over the top of the branch otherwise the saw blade can get nipped/t= rapped by the branch falling before it is fully cut. Can be a right p.i.t.a= . if it happens on a high branch. Also mind you don't get hit by a heavy br= anch letting go and swinging down hinged on the unfinished cut portion. Can= pin one to the bole of the tree.

Paul Mc Cann n Wednesday, July 11, 2012 12:49:06 PM UTC+1, Nospam wrote:

e branches are

Reply to
fred

Only valid if you haven't yet propagated your DNA.

JGH

Reply to
jgharston

I like Japanese saws too. My Silky saws are good pruners, but for silly names I also like my very similar and equally Japanese "Ars(e) saw"

I did buy it just because it has a silly name.

I'm not a big fan of the huge two-handed Silky. At that size, I can find better saws in Western style. I do like the small "super penknife" folders though. They're great for stickmakers collecting hedge timber.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

So if I have "propagated" I'm free to do dumb things? Oh good :-)

Reply to
Nospam

How do you feel about dangling in a tree with a bow saw? I've got a 21" Bahco bowsaw. When fitted with a brand-new "green wood" blade, it will cut through wood with surprisingly little effort, and it's probably safer than a chainsaw.

Reply to
RustyCrampon

3m is doable with the chainsaw on a stick trimmers certainly...

I have used a pair of extension tubes on mine - which probably makes it about 2m total length. Held above my head that probably adds another

2.5m. The only slight irritation is that the pruner heads all tend to be fixed in position pointing along the axis of the poles. Fine for limbs off the side, but not ideal of nipping off the central trunk of a tree that's getting too tall.
Reply to
John Rumm

One of the advantages of the long reach chainsaws is that if the blunt end of the pole is at your end, you can be in the kickback zone of the sharp end ;-)

(perhaps one of the cordless electric chainsaws would be a good candidate for pole attachment)

Reply to
John Rumm

I think it's the "dangling" bit that is probably gone ;-) I have a mountaineer son so maybe I can talk him into paying a visit

Reply to
Nospam

A sabre saw is safer than a chainsaw and easier than a bow saw. However I just had a 60' birch tree cut down and it was

Reply to
dennis

I like Japanese saws too. My Silky saws are good pruners, but for silly names I also like my very similar and equally Japanese "Ars(e) saw"

I did buy it just because it has a silly name.

I'm not a big fan of the huge two-handed Silky. At that size, I can find better saws in Western style. I do like the small "super penknife" folders though. They're great for stickmakers collecting hedge timber.

I'm inclined to disagree with you Andy. The one I have would not be described as huge. It is light in weight, has very good balance and excellent cutting abilities. The extended handle allows it to be used single or double handed. Haven't yet needed to use it double handed even when cutting stuff up to about 100mm. Also the design of the handle allows for a little distance between the user and the stuff when trimming the likes of holly, brier or thorn. Having said that, I bow to your superior knowledge. In the past I have made do with bow saws for trimming, and have the scars to prove it. Old codger, way behind the times. I'll take a look at Ars saws. Thanks, Nick.

Reply to
Nick