Tools for grown-ups

Anyone explain this:

all the others:
have no such restriction?

Reply to
dom

=========================== Possibly because the screwdrivers could be classed as 'stabbing' implements - i.e. knives. The recent 'Knife amnesty' was intended to take all dangerous knives out of circulation.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

A quick glance at other screwdrivers would seem to support this suggestion...

alternatively it is because they set contains a mains tester screwdriver, and everyone knows they are leathal! ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

lots of tools in that catalog are potential murder weapons. Many far more so than a screwdriver.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

That'll be it, for sure.

I hope everyone here took their screwdrivers down to the nick to hand in?

David

Reply to
Lobster

Looks like you're right, however you can have one of these:

even just one of these:

you can't have these:

sale of screwdrivers to under 18's - I think we've lost the plot

Reply to
dom

indeed. most kids have grown up with video nasties as well - how can we let under 18's get their hands on one of these?

you'll need one of these to dispose of the bodies (Fargo anyone?)

b33k34

The message from snipped-for-privacy@care2.com contains these words:

I've not noticed any restrictions on, for example, chainsaws. Perhaps we ought to launch a campaign. Won't somebody think of the children?

Reply to
Guy King

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember " snipped-for-privacy@gglz.com" saying something like:

Safety Weasels and / or Legal Weasels advising them of potential liabilities. The same sort of weasel thinking that led to many charities refusing to take old PCs for re-use.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

By far the most common murder weapon is a kitchen knife. Screwdrivers and penknives over 2 and 3/4 inches probably figure very low in the numbers.

Reply to
Doki

The BBC had a report today where someone on the New York subway took powered saws of some sort to use to rob people - I think it said they swung it at the victim too, and the police are treating it as attempted murder...

Reply to
Colin Wilson

Andy Dingley

My daughter got asked to produce proof of age when buying a cheese grater from Matalan.

Reply to
Grumpy owd man

A guy I work with - a props man - driving home after work work was stopped and subsequently arrested, for wearing a Leatherman in his belt, along with a torch and pack holding tape and scissors. He was held at a local police station for 5 hours before being released with no charge. Seems it was the locking blade on the Leatherman that caused the problem. I and many of my colleagues also carry them too and from work - although mine doesn't have a locking blade. Wonder if he had been white rather than black if the outcome would have been the same?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I am just trying to visualise the scene now... "give me your wallet, or else I am going to give you a nasty scratch really slowly!" ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

The message from "Grumpy owd man" contains these words:

I've never actually bought anything from Matalan - they asked for my name and address, I could see why they needed it so I declined and left. Someone told me it had changed - so I went back but it was still the same.

Reply to
Guy King

The message from John Rumm contains these words:

Sounds like my then three year old daughter wandering round the back garden dressed as a dalek. She dumped the whisk in favour of a cheese grater and merrily threatened people with "EXFOLIATE".

Reply to
Guy King

Matalan staff really shouldn't threaten customers with the merchandise.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

----- Original Message ----- From: "Grumpy owd man" Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y Sent: Friday, July 07, 2006 10:10 PM Subject: Re: Tools for grown-ups

It's all for the grater good...

Reply to
Paul Andrews

Apart from the racist aspect of this, there's also the issue that the UK knife law over "locking" knives is specifically stated as being based on knives that lock and are released by use of a button (lever locks are a grey area). A Leatherman, or similar tools with over-centre retention, are clearly not locking knives under the terms of this act.

Reply to
Andy Dingley