Tool to get rubble out of chimney?

I've made a hole into an old brick chimney from a bedroom. But its clogged with broken bricks and crumbled lime mortar. I've cleared it as far down as I can get my arm but need something longer to dig down further.

I'm trying to find where it used to come from- I've drilled a hole vertically lower the wall downstairs but it doesnt come from there!

I'm thinking of getting or making some kind of extendable grabby claw?

[george]
Reply to
george - dicegeorge

A really powerful vacuum cleaner. It will suck anything loose out and most of the rest will clamp to the end of the hose, which can then be pulled out with the big lump of rubble attached.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

good idea, expensive to hire, maybe an old sacrificial vacuum cleaner? [g]

Reply to
george - dicegeorge

Normal domestic one or shop vac etc will be fine - just knock up some form of interceptor bin to go between it and what you are sucking...

e.g. could be a cyclone:

or just a simple dump bin with an in and out pipe poked into the top (basically where the air changes direction in the bin, most of the stuff in it does not and ends up in the bin). Handy way to turn any vac into a wet vac as well.

Reply to
John Rumm

I have a vacuum that is similar to a Henry in size and shape, but has a filter in the lid, rather than using a bag. That uses much the same principle and it is the one I use for rough work.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Small child with an angle grinder?

Reply to
johno

Agreed. The grey plastic Wickes/Earlex wet and dry is very tough and not expensive. You can also buy a nominal two inch hose for it.

Reply to
newshound

The cheapo Earlex tub wet'n dry has plenty of suck to do this. Also pretty robust and handy for all manner of DIY clearing up. They used to do one with a power socket for tools so it would switch on/off with the tool. But looking at their website that doesn't appear to be available anymore, indeed looking for other shops listing even the ordinary one and in stock they might well be "end of line".

Flues shouldn't combine they will be a home runs from fireplace to chimney pot. As fireplaces are generally in the middle of chimney breasts flues from below pass up the sides they can be out of vertical to achieve this

P P P | | | | | | P = Pot | F / F = Fire place | / | / \ F \ \ F

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

You need your chimney flues inspecting, all that rubble usually comes from above, start the inspection right at the top (roof) with your chimney stack being the first port of call.

Reply to
alo

Chimneys are normally off-set between floors, so I am not surprised you cannot find the rest of the chimney directly below.

Firstly, try and see if there are any indications of a fireplace in the room below then try and work out how far the upstairs chimney is off-set from the downstairs fireplace.

Is there any indication of a slope or a bend in the bit you can see, going either up or down?

suggests some possible layouts.

How far down have you broken into the chimney - floor level?

That is - are you certain it is the downstairs chimney and not the upstairs chimney?

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David.WE.Roberts

The usual thing is to poke at it from below with drain rods/chimney sweep rods.

You will likely find some bricks have fallen and you will have to make a hole to remove them. They usually jam pretty solid. Don't think a vacuum cleaner will shift them.

Or it may be a jackdaw's nest. The buggers can completely fill a chimney up with twigs over the years.

Reply to
harryagain

Difficult if he can't find it lower down.

Depends upon the vacuum cleaner. One that I wish I had the space to keep when I closed my factories had two motors, which had to be switched on sequentially in order to avoid blowing the fuse in the 13A plug. That had amazing suction.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

I have heard about the tools but now i have read how to use this. I have also found one best roof coatings

to fix rv roof leaks and hope it will help other also.

Reply to
epdmroofers

..clueless spammer rule No. 1 - don't post an 'I have found....' message from an email address that's clearly identifiable to the company you're spamming for....

Amateurs!

Reply to
Adrian Brentnall

...clueless spammer rule No. 2 -

Ensure that your country is relevant to the coverage of the group you are posting to.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

It looks absolutely shit doesn't it?

WTF are they doing?

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

Interesting that the spammers are re-appearing on Usenet. Is interest in the medium picking up again?

Reply to
Huge