Tool for removing a tree stump?

In article , snipped-for-privacy@codesmiths.com writes

Not DIY, but I rang round a few people in the yellow pages when I wanted a stump ground out in our garden, and the going rate was about 50 quid to come and do it (this is in East Yorkshire). At that price it wasn't worth hiring the kit to do it myself.

I watched our next door neighbour trying (for several weeks) to remove a small tree stump using just about everything from fire to chainsaws and decided it was 50 quid well spent.

Reply to
Tim Mitchell

OK - you could try this. Drill a 10mm hole around 6 inches deep and pour in some granular sodium chlorate weedkiller through a funnel. Ignite with a blowtorch while wearing safety goggles - (it spits a little).

After the combustion has completed, inspect and decide if drilling several holes and filling with weedkiller will benefit.

The only danger with this is getting any on the aforementioned bush - it's quite a good weedkiller, though one or two crystals won't kill a large bush.

Mr F.

Reply to
Mr Fizzion

All the fun of a chainsaw, and even more insanely dangerous, when dealing with stuff likely to have rocks in.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

I don't think Axminster sell these, although Machine Mart do. Lancelot or "KATS"

The ones Axminster do are the Arbortech disks - a solid steel disk with cutting edges either formed onto it, or with carbide inserts bolted on. These are pretty fearsome tools (both for cutting and for throwing chips) but they have nothing like the kickback problems of the chainsaw chain disks. I wouldn't allow one of the chain disks in the workshop - just far too dangerous, given the easy alternative.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Yup, that was the beastie I had in mind.

Not ever really been into carving I have not found the need to acquire one, but often wondered what they were like.

Reply to
John Rumm

Drill a number of holes, fill these with a saltpetre solution. Keep topping up every few days. Come November 5th, set fire to it.

Reply to
Broadback

Yes.

Build a bonfire on it.

Friend of mine swears by drilling holse and pouring in saltpeter and igniting it.

I'd use a mixture of methods - axing off as much as possible, or using a bowsaw to get close to ground level. dig down a bit and if it really is old, burn a fair bit of what is left.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Ah, we've already discounted that one earlier in the thread due to proximity of fences etc!

Somebody else mentioned that one, and I'm tempted to give that a go. Sounds like fun apart from anything else!

Now... in this post 9/11 age that we live in, where the hell would I go to buy saltpetre?!? What's it's legitimate use, other than zapping treestumps?

David

Reply to
Lobster

Oops, following up my own post... googling for 'saltpetre' took me straight

ROFL - wouldn't have guessed that!

Reply to
Lobster

Look on the back of any packet of bacon for "Potassium Nitrate"... same thing.

Reply to
John Rumm

I believe it is used in some sorts of vegetable pickling. As chlorates are still used as weed killers and Nitrates as fertilisers, sulphur for a variety of things and charcoal (which can be ground finely in a food processor) for barbecue use is also available, creating an explosive is not a great challenge for a murderous zealot. Gunpowder, however is a deflagrant as opposed to a high explosive, so needs some sort of containment. The speed of sound in HE is less than the propagation speed so containment is redundant. With deflagrants, the opposite is the case. It is of course, far more efficient to break into a quarry and steal some rolls of HE and a box of detonators. Do not try this at home, or you might just find yourself in the surrounding counties.

John Schmitt

Reply to
John Schmitt