tool for architraves

We need to sand around some windows top prepare them for painting

what's the best tool for this the fein multi master, or what ?

Reply to
geoff

Sandpaper should do.

Reply to
Rednadnerb

Caustic soda

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Is this a complicated pattern that has lots of ins and outs that need sanding?

The fein has a moulding sanding attachment - basically a series of rubber profiles that you can wrap and clip sandpaper round - it then sands with a linear action.

Alternatively you can make a custom hand sanding block with some cling film and (wait for it) car body filler! Cover a small section with cling film and push some boddy filler onto it to take up the profile of moulding. Let it harden and then use it as a hand sanding block with an adhesive backed paper.

Reply to
John Rumm

traditional curvy pattern

is it the best tool for the job ?

or something cheaper and simpler - I don't do much of that sort of thing at the moment

There's a cunning idea there, isn't there

Reply to
geoff

If youre willing to strip a bit off by hand first you'd get a much better shape on the hand sanding block.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

With a moment more thought, sanding is deprecated for sash windows due to the risks of inhaling lead compound dust. Liquid stripper works if you need bare wood.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

In message , Rednadnerb writes

Hah, you're pullin' my todger

You wouldn't happen to know a suitable implement for knocking nails into a piece of wood while you're at it, would you ?

Reply to
geoff

Having strippped *miles* of Victorian & Edwardian mouldings, I found that gentle application of a blowlamp followed by a firm wiping action with a genuine bristle (1) floor scrubbing brush works wonders. It is very important only to wipe in one direction - from the already stripped wood towards the heated area and then beyond onto cool. This literally rolls up the paint/varnish/shellac gunge. Then sanding is very easy with ordinary sandpaper as the wood hasn't been mucked up as it can be when using a scraper.

(1) Don't try this with a plastic brush - it'll melt !!!!

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Brass suede shoe brush,give it a few scuffings on a piece of scrap wood before use to soften it up.

Reply to
George

He wants to sand the paint not burn it off.

Reply to
George

Ooooh!

It may be a measure of my ignorance but I've not heard that before... ...and there's me just preparing to make good some rather grand victorian coving.

Thank you.

Reply to
PeterMcC

message

Pearls before swine - just tuck it away for next time and get over it !

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Angle grinder. Sorry it was late.