Tool box - for cordless plus basic tools - recommendations?

I'm after a toolbox which will take my Metabo cordless drill plus a collection of basic tools plus some screws and screwdriver bits.

I was thinking of one of these:-

I'm less convinced now that having *all* the drawers divided into small compartments is a good idea.

Maybe this would be better:-

drawers can be used for screwdrivers, spanners, etc. but as far as I can see there are no separators so where do you put screwdriver bits, screws, etc.?

I already have a couple of cantilever style metal tooloboxes which work OK but won't take my cordless drill. I also have a big 'wheelie' toolbox with trays but I find that a bit too big for toting around the house doing odd jobs. I'm trying to find some sort of happy medium that will take most of what I need in a single box. I don't like lift out trays as they're clumsy and it seems that what I actually need is always underneath.

Any/all suggestions welcome! :-)

Reply to
tinnews

================================== Have a browse around Machine Mart:

Some of the chests with a lift-up top have about 3.5" clearance in the top compartment which is just about enough for the average cordless drill.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

I have several of the "metal briefcases", Maplins do a good one which is periodically on offer. They come with a pre-cut foam lining, One of the advantages is that being all the same size, they stack neatly under benches, etc.More for drills etc than loose tools, but you could put screws etc into tupperware boxes (or just use the boxes they come in).

Reply to
Newshound

What on earth is wrong with a diy tray with a conduit handle like all the old fashioned tradesmen used to carry?

Get an offcut of 3/8" ply and make two end pieces large enough to suit your needs and a base and front and back panel long enough to suit your needs and a length of metal tube for the handle.

Cost price= nothing -going on a fiver or so.

I'd have one myself but used paint buckets are less than ten a penny. A lot less. I might even make one or two now that I have a Transit. The only problem with buckets is they keep falling over if given a chance.

I suppose I could make some sort of a stillage for them with a jigsaw and an offcut of ply...

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

I use the 26" version of this one for all my electrical tools:

would take drill (in the bottom section).

The nice think about it is it has a flat top with a chequerplate rubberised finish that is designed to be stood on. Hence it makes a very useful step for an extra foot of height, and a handy seat when working low down.

Reply to
John Rumm

I use a gardeners Trug loaded with everything I need for a particular job.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

I use a gardeners Trug loaded with everything I need for a particular job.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

I use a tool bag that I bought from Wickes. Has a shoulder strap which is handy as it frees up both hands.

Loads of pockets & room for drill driver. No storage for screws etc, but I use Black & Decker Clip 'N' Go boxes which you can get in B&Q for about £1.50.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

It's possible but I don't really like lift out trays, that's one of the things that annoys me with my big wheeled toolbox - you need to lift out the trays before you get to the cordless which you *always* need.

Reply to
tinnews

That's the approach I tend to take when I'm going "up the garden" to do some fencing repairs or similar but it feels like I should be able to have a 'default' toolbox for routine odds and sods.

Reply to
tinnews

A bag is something I hadn't really considered but it's certainly a possibility, thanks for the idea.

Cyrrently I'm seriously considering:-

tinnews