Tonights 'Status' programme on C4 - using WD40 to start a BBQ

This 2 hour marathon about why some of need status was interesting but what caught my eye was a group people from Essex putting on some sort of show as Roman Centurions, and one them was lighting what looked like a BBQ with a WD40 spraycan and a match !

The naturist tennis match was curious too. What were those green heart shaped thingies, - I thought the Martians had landed

Reply to
Andrew

WD40 is quite good for flame thrower use. We used to do this a lot at uni. Unlike most sprays, it uses co2 as the propellant, so it's a lot less scary.

Reply to
Grunff

Not according to the can. A common-or-garden garden sprayer, filled with light oil is surprisingly effective. (I wouldn't use a pressurised sprayer, just a hand one) Can be adjusted from narrow-bream to "were those my eyebrows?".

DIY application was as a rust preventative spray. I got curious.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

I have 3 cans that say co2 on them, so does the MSDS!

Are you sure your can is WD40, not whipped cream?

Reply to
Grunff

They were intended to cover up the bits we should not see. Curiously, the bits we could see - acres of shrivelled, lumpy, or droopy sacks of skin, pot bellies, nipples scraping the ground (and the women were even worse) - didn't seem to upset the censors.

One thing they should have covered up was the continual in-yer-face close-ups of the presenter. I had to hide behind my hands when his face loomed yet again into view, like an advert for rent boys. All in all, the programme was a mess, darting from a vicar in deepest Olde England to some hypocritical get-rich-quick bible thumper in Amerika, as if to tease out some kind of message from chalk and cheese. After an hour I gave up and watched the end of Kama Sutra, which I recorded several weeks ago. Death by being sat upon by an elephant ain't pretty!

MM

Reply to
Mike Mitchell

Odd. I'll have to dig it out, sure I remember propane. Are you perhaps in the states?

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Grunff wrote in news:c2et45$1rbnh5$ snipped-for-privacy@ID-152899.news.uni- berlin.de:

Ha! Nitrous oxide is the propellant in whipped cream aerosols.

Rod

Reply to
Rod Hewitt

I know - that was the joke :-)

Reply to
Grunff

Nope, Devon.

The quoted text below is taken from

#### What is the propellant in WD-40? A propellant is the stuff that helps pump WD-40 out of the can. The propellant used in WD-40 is carbon dioxide (CO2). CO2 is an inert gas which helps empty the can. Plus, the addition of CO2 reduced the number of VOCs, which helps preserve the environment. Be sure to point the spray nozzle toward the dot on the top of the can to ensure that the can fully empties. ####

Reply to
Grunff

Grunff wrote in news:c2fq0j$1ss6ml$ snipped-for-privacy@ID-152899.news.uni-berlin.de:

Sorry - auto-pilot mode. :-)