Tonight's Property Ladder, Channel 4

Page 8 of 16

You can, and, as we repeatedly point out to IMM, people who have the money to make such choices would, for the most part, much rather have a poky cottage in Richmond than a barn near Manchester. I don't see it myself but ultimately things are worth what people are prepared to pay for them. IMM's claim that the people who pay these sums for poky cottages all have second homes in the country, if true, merely shows that living in 300K house at weekends and in town during the week beats commuting from a 700K house in the back of nowhere.

Really? Surely its the case that people think that they *have* to live in the vicinity of the capital, because that's where all the overpaid jobs are, that enable to people to afford ludicrous mortgages, so that they can afford to live near the capital, etc., etc. I can't think of any reason why anyone would actually *want* to live and/or work the open sewer otherwise known as London: personally, you'd have to pay me half a million to tolerate doing either ;-)
Julian
--
Julian Fowler
Julian Fowler wrote:

Quite true. The stupid peasnts look at Londom salaries and imagine they will get rich.
Well maybe, if they finally retire to a barn near Manchester, they will be.
But most people in london are simply struggling to pay the mortgage every month.

Don't think I qualify as a peasant even though I live in the country. And I don't think London salaries for most jobs are much more than here. Okay a few banking jobs and so on earn a lot more but I would imagine they are a small minority.
G&M wrote:

Because land account to 2/3 of the house value. Release land and house prices drop and people spread out.

IMM wrote:

Thats only because you can build a house cheaply, but you can't build land. Its either there or it isn't.
Its simple supply and demand.
The way to get house prices down is to gas all labour voters.
That should halve house prices at a stroke.
;-)
It makes no difference what a house COSTS, it is simply a question of whether there are more houses than needed, and what people can afford to pay for those that are available.
Its perfectly feasible to put up far higher density of housing on the givcen land space, and leverage things like facilities and public transport, by building higher.

G&M wrote:

It is there!!! Look!!!! We only occupy 7.5% of it, while Lord Muck gets richer.

You don't listen do you. The market is rigged, we are not allowed to build in the country.
< snip babble >

writes

They tried it in the 60's. Now they're demolishing all the tower blocks. Would *you* live in one?
--
A. Top posters.

Worked well in Hong Kong ....

Have you seen the alternative housing they had?
DG

I imagine that living in a tower block with millionaires in each flat would be a whole lot better than sharing the block with tenants who have an attitude problem towards everyone else.
Speaking of which, I imagine that David Coultard might now have to move out of his luxurious accomodation in Monaco.....
(for those who haven't heard, Coultard is without a seat in next years F1 lineup).
PoP
If you really must use the email address provided with my newsreader please be aware that the email is processed with spamcop. As a result your email to me might be treated as spam!

.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

No. But if my income could afford for me to live there I could probably overcome my reticence of built-up places ;)
And I'd have a party and invite all my friends (though I could probably hold that party in an average sized airing cupboard ;)).
PoP
If you really must use the email address provided with my newsreader please be aware that the email is processed with spamcop. As a result your email to me might be treated as spam!

There are a lot nicer places of this type :-)

.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Like Balham?

Yes, I have! Great food, great women, great scenery ... not somewhere I'd spend a huge amount of time, but a nice place all the same. Much better if you have the money to make the most of it mind you.
PoP wrote:

Coulthard actually..

Quelle surprise.
Who is at McLaren then?

I corrected stand.

CoultHard will be driving this season, then he's out. Next year his seat will be taken by Montoya - currently at Williams.
I rather fancy this will improve Maclarens chances of getting the F1 championship in 2005. Montoya has been delivering the results for Williams this last year, and if he can get a set of wheels which are close to the Ferrari setup then he has to be a contender.
PoP
If you really must use the email address provided with my newsreader please be aware that the email is processed with spamcop. As a result your email to me might be treated as spam!
PoP wrote:

Coultahrd is a better test driver, but Montoya is mad enough to take the risks that race winning needs.
As long as he is backed up by someone else to develop the car..