Tonight's Property Ladder, Channel 4

Page 7 of 16

<snip/>

Its only the 9th of January, and we already have a candidate for "most depressing post of the year".
--
Julian Fowler

Nottingham is depressing.

I dunno ... I think MK could be fun at 3am on a weekday night with a TVR or Evo to hand. All those roundabouts for third gear slide outs ..! Mmmmmmm .....

s/post/poster/

And also, sadly as it may or may not be, is why "the North" isn't so profitable a place to live now. Their time of valuable resource has passed. As mankind evolves and seeks new resources it may change back to being the most profitable part of the UK. But it still has shite whether mind you ;)
al wrote:

That is the thing that puts me off mostly. And the gloomy winters.
BUT with property prices low, it is attractive to business and individual alike.
SOME peple like it up there.
I am more latin by temperament. Give me a hot dry place any day.

passed.
the
;)
alike.
The worst weather in England I found in East Anglia. Cold and wet and those winds coming in from Siberia.

IMM wrote:

Try Manchester then. East anglia has the lowest rainfaill in the UK..and is the hottest place in summer.

those
In winter it is dire. It amazes me when people refer to the "north" as all one blob. There is a mountain chain running down the centre splitting it up. The weather in Newcastle is different to Manchester which is different to Liverpool. I looked at a weather map and the Merseyside/Deeside area has the same temperatures as Surrey/Kent.

IMM wrote:

Indeed. West of the pennines it RAINS whgen east of the pennines it is just dull.
Expet when you get an easterly, then the east of england catches the snow badly :-)

That doesn't seem to have stopped them in Berkshire !!!!!

Well that mean 100% of the land in the Uk can house buildings.

the
flood
Just because something *can* be built, doesn't mean there's an incentive to live there. Example - you want a holiday home and have to choose between Dubai and Afghanistan. One has a stable (at least right now), clean and well run economy and attractive homes to buy, the other is torn apart by war. You *can* build a house in either, but Afghanistan right now is uninhabitable for most people. The Scottish highlands can have houses built on it - but who'd want to live there! Towns form where resources make it beneficial to live (shelter, water, commerce, etc.). Places that oppose that way of thinking are "uninhabitable" from the point of view that it will never make sense to have a settlement there.
If I sold my house here, I could goto the highlands and buy huge amounts of land and build a palatial house. What good would it do me? The area is uninhabitable unless you're a hermit.

That is not the point. The point that snotty uni was saying large parts of the UK cannot be physically built on.

Can you??? Please try!!! You cannot build in the country. We are prevented from doing so. Only in certain circumstance can you build, usually replacing an existing building. Try to buy open land and build a big house. You will be shocked.

usually
house.
Well, my point was that I physically could be wouldn't want to as I couldn't survive there even if it were legal as I couldn't make a living and would hate the isolation and not being able to do the things I like doing.

Any chance you could at least learn the art of trimming to context?

I am the greatest trimmer there is.

it
I think you might have one "t" too many in that sentence. But I'll leave it as an exercise for you to work out which one is superfluous :^)
Cheers Clive

it
You are such fun. Games as well.

He was doing his stuff about five miles from here :-)