Tonight's Property Ladder, Channel 4

Page 5 of 16

wrote

You may be, but on the point in question.

Doesn't make any difference. It will be a hit.

Great idea. Let's put in a McDonalds and a launderette as well......

.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
wrote

That's what town have don't they! What do you want a town with facilities?

Well some people might say that spectacular and wild landscapes deserve to be kept that way. Weird eh!?
IMM wrote:

With climbers maybe, but who else would be prepared to pay the sort of tens of millions to get water, electricity and roads laid in, not to mention broadband etc etc,. I doubt you could even get TV there apart from satellite.
Have you ever BEEN to that area?
It has NOTHING going for it apart from a little forestry and killing the odd deer.
Anything you do there is twice to ten times as expensive as anywhere else, because its miles away from anything that needs doing.

wrote

So it can be built on then.

yep.
De-restrict planning and redistribute land and the area will prosper.

Salt Lake City is the most ridiculous place to put a city. The lake is a 40 mile wide ditch. Some religious freak said this is where we build because he was tired of travelling and up came SLC. The city is the centre and all revolves around it.

IMM wrote:

It does have water however. AND its bang on a big trans-america route.
Try Vegas for an even more crazy place....BUT again, it had some water, and it was bang in the middle of a mining area and on a transport route...
whereas nearby there are many ghost towns that cessed to exist becase the mines ran out. No mileage in sticking there when the basic source of income has gone.
Vegas only survived because it was a 'play area' for the whole desert area, and of course because all teh mormons from Salt Lake city needed somewhere to go and have a bit of Sin now and again.

The city is not on the ditch!

The communications came because of the town, now city.

IMM wrote:

No, actually they did not. Read your history.
Getting across the high plains of the USA was about getting from one waterhole to the next by and large. Salt lake and other towns are there because they had some sort of water supply, or were on established wagon trails...usually because the going was easier etc etc.
Of course, once established, railroads were built and they became trade centers as a result.
But before that they were stopover places on the way from the upper reaches of the missisipi/missouri rivers, to the west coast..

I spent 6 months there. The locals say it is a silly place to put a city, although the Rockies rise at the side of it and there are some ski resorts there now.

IMM wrote:

I know, I went there too, but living with a bunch of weird christians is not my idea of fun. Its an established fact that americans don't know anything about their country anyway, and even less about history and other peoples countries.
I suppose that is why you felt at home there...

They are the most unfriendly Americans I have ever met. Odd people.

Who said I felt at home? I was glad to get out. Snowbird, a ski resort, was where the put together the TCP/IP protocol. A bunch of mainly student. A temporary measure.

Were you fixing the heat pumps?
Generally in networking, "flushing circuits" has a rather different meaning to the one with which you would be familiar......

.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

OK, trying not too sound too geeky, but I did play Civilisation a lot a long time ago!! When you got LOADSA money, you could build big extravagant things in the middle of nowhere for the hell of it. If you create a resource and a reason to come, it could work. Organised crime created a gambling haven away from the city cops. It ran away with itself and snowballed into what Vegas is today. This however does not equate to sticking 500 semi's on the side of Ben Nevis with a McD's in the middle! ;)
al wrote:

I totally agree.
Vegas is in the center of what used to be a mining area. Its brash miner playtime town to the nth degree. It had water, and was on the communication route.
It stayed successful because Nevada had very relaxed gambling laws, and in fact any laws....
"Hey there pard, what're you doin - you just shot a man in the street" "Officer, we was jest havin' fun" "Oh,. HAVING FUN! Well that's all right, you jest call the undertakers and get that cleaned up, but as long as it was only fun, that's what Vegas is orl about!"

The main rule about all rules is there are always exceptions. I don't know enough about SLC to know if there were any other good reasons to settle there so I can't comment on it specifically. It does not however follow that because of that if you provide the houses the people will come!
Didn't you have a PC back in the times of games like Civilisation, etc.? YOU NEED RESOURCES .....

Why not?

That is what happened in Milton Keynes. They built the house gave financial incentives to companies and it took off like a rocket. The secret was that they designed and built the place properly. It is still expanding like mad.

IMM wrote:

Chickens and eggs. There was already a lot of reasonable infrastructure around MK. throwing money at it made it advantagoeus to set up industry there., The people will go where the jobs are, and where the cost of living is less than the salary. That's all.
Now you ma decide that we shpuld akll pay a penny extra tax to buiold New Caledinai in a scottsh bog halfway aup a muntain, put in an airport (if yy can find a flat bit) dam up a few streams for water, build a nuclear power station, a motorway or there, and subsideise the shit out of the place, and build a scottish newtown. BUT you srer distorting underlying factors that make towns happen where they happen - because they arecoist effective. You cannot fight economics and remain competitive.
You should move to Bombay, where the cost of living is MUCH less and there are plenty of houses.

Milton Keynes is a shithole. No wonder IMM likes it then.

MK is a commuter town for London, that's why it's successful. It's centre can support the local community with low level jobs and entertainment, but the people that live there I imagine mostly work in the city.