Tonight's Property Ladder, Channel 4

Page 14 of 16
On Thu, 08 Jan 2004 09:00:24 +0000 (GMT), Tony Williams

Yes, more's the pity.
PoP
If you really must use the email address provided with my newsreader please be aware that the email is processed with spamcop. As a result your email to me might be treated as spam!

Andrew

Use it or lose it.
--
Tony Williams.

Do you hate life as well.

Just because he likes things a different way doesn't mean he's sad. Slagging people off for being different makes you sad ...
al wrote:

Really? Coming from you that is....hypocritical beyond belief...
You will be voting Liberal next!

And when have I resorted to slagging off people? I have my own opinions, sometimes strong, but I accept other people have their own and it's just as valid for them.
al wrote:

Pretty much every post...

No, you don't.
PoP wrote:

Sounds like mine.

The only thing we use em for apart from visting, is the supermarkets and other big shopping.
there are busses.
A LOT of the older people round here simply get a taxi. The actual cost for one or two trips a week is less than that of car ownership.

Excuse me for asking, but where is "round here"?
PoP
If you really must use the email address provided with my newsreader please be aware that the email is processed with spamcop. As a result your email to me might be treated as spam!

LOL ... certainly not London black cabs anyway!!

pubs, a co-op mini-store, cafe/restaurant, 2 garden centres, butcher, pet shop, a small Sainsbury metro store, post-office, (a small tesco and primary care centre in the near future) Travis-perkins BM, 50 miles from London, 12 to Worthing, RSPB nature reserve nearby on what was a useless, Grade 3 (=rubbish land) arable/beef farm, Main line station from Bognor to London (1hr 10mins).
Unfortunately being in commuter land houses are expensive. Small 3 bed semi 200,000 and anything that has any character is a second home. You'll need 300,000+ for anything decent. Meanwhile there is Grade 3 'agricultural' land all around going to waste.

--
Andrew

Hmm, doable. Our current home is retailing in the region of 380,000. Bought in 1995 for 137,000.
PoP
If you really must use the email address provided with my newsreader please be aware that the email is processed with spamcop. As a result your email to me might be treated as spam!

Well ... each to their own ... I guess our ideas of night's out probably wouldn't match very often ;o)

Of which London has what to any appreciable level of quality? Museums, yes; night buses, maybe. The others listed above have exactly two characteristics: crap and ludicrously expensive.
The sad thing is that so few of those who live in London actually realize what a third-rate city they are inhabiting (compared to, say, Paris, or Berlin, or Rome, or Milan, or Madrid, or Lisbon, or NYC, or San Francisco, or Boston, or Toronto, or Montreal, or Sydney, or Melbourne ... to name a few).
OTOH I'm very glad that those who have this bizarre liking for London prefer to stay there -- I'm sure it makes the rest of the country much more pleasant for the rest of us :-)
Julian
--
Julian Fowler
Imm wrote:

The nightlife in London is crap and very expensive.

Julian Fowler wrote:

I would not live in london unless I had a 2M budget for housing.
It IS possible to find a leafy backstreet without street crme and off road parking, but boy, it costs.
The average terrace in e.g. Balham or somewhere is disgusting beyond belief, and VERY expensive.
Id raher be poor here, than there.

Oh you're so so badly wrong there. If you live here, let me suggest some proper places to eat and drink. If you don't, might I suggest when you visit you find some friends who can show you decent places to go? And I'm sorry, but the price thing don't wash either unless you're doing the tourist runs around the Palace and Westminster and eating ice-creams at 5 times the price! An Indian (abour 10 a head without drink), Chinese (about 13 a head without drink) or kebab (about 5 a head without drink) costs the same here as anywhere else in the "country" where I've tried it and is 9 times out of ten WAY WAY better food! Those prices are sit-in prices for full meals in proper restaurants - not plastic tabled holes!

Actually, I've lived here for 5 years, but know London a bit most of my life. I've spent most of my life, particularly early on, travelling a great deal in Europe, North Africa and Asia and have experience with all sorts of city types. Every city has people with the same attitudes ... the grass is always greener! What would you know about life in Rome if you only visit as a tourist? About the same as a tourist visiting London - usually a good impression, particularly if the culture is very different to what you're used to. Every country has corrupt politicians, crime and pollution problems. Mind you ... not all cities have smart arses like Ken Livingstone who want to turn an entire region (within the M25) into a congestion charge zone!!!! Grrrrr .....

I could say the same - I'm glad the country keeps it's high percentage of close-minded people with their boring lives (vast generalisation statement over now!!). Swings & roundabouts mate ... London has more than its fair share of w**kers and the country has its fair share of Deliverance style freaks! In the country I would just have to travel too far to get to all the things I like. In London or any other large city they're on my doorstep - and if you know the place properly they don't cost any more either!
Houses on the other hand (to bring the topic back round to the original reason!) are bloody ridiculous here. I live just outside of London near the end of a tube line so I can have a proper house with a proper garden (first time buyer 1 year ago!) and still get into Oxford Street in 35 mins on the tube. For the same money in say Northampton, I could have another bedroom or two and be detached. But I certainly don't live in a slum like most people think Londoners (even non-central ones) do.

So true. I know many well priced restaurants in London, but you have to know where they are.

Paris is a much nicer people friendly city than London. Berlin, SF all have something London just lacks.

I love Ken. He is fab! He is the only one attempting to make London a kind of people friendly place. His aim is to make the quality of life of the people much better. the problem with London is that those who made the most money from it lived in villages in Surrey and couldn't give a hoot about the place. Ken want those who prosper most from London to be Londoners (those that live there).
If you want your small town car driving, go to a small town.

And the place would be twice as big.

London has some awful dilapidated property. Whole areas of it. It amazes me when the London based press have a go at Liverpool. They really must have selective amnesia when looking around London. Or are these the Surrey villages who only see the City rail stations and their own village?

has incredible architecture. SF is a great great place - almost seems to layed back to be called a city. But I couldn't live in the USA (SF is about the best choice though!).

I respect him for that. I really respect him for his stance over that un-elected imbecile visiting the Queen a while ago! His war on drivers angers me. If public transport was a quarter of the price, reliable and fast (Hong Kong, Singapore, Taiwan, Luxembourg and many others manage to some extent!) I'd be more on his side.

I enjoy driving too much to give it up. I don't drive out of laziness. I drive for fun when I can.

All cities have their badly designed shit-holes. London has many. But again, the smart buyer can avoid and can live in perfectly acceptable quality without being made of money.