Tonight's Property Ladder, Channel 4

Page 13 of 16
al wrote:

Glasgow is not a bad town really. Apart from being wet cold dark and gloomy in winter.
Bristol is another one I have a bit of affection for.
Leeds looks nice, but I haven't been there long enough...and I enjoyed staying in Leicester once for a couple of weeks.
Oxford and Cambridge have gone loony left and are not worth visitng anymore.
Bath is still - Bath!
I hated Brussels. Copenhagen is utter shite. Some people like New York, but you can keep it as far as I am concerned. Ditto Paris. Orelans looked nice, but I never had time to find out... Prague is worth a look. Dublin is worth getting pissed in. Fine museum. Seville...now I could get used to Seville...

And drunken violent people. Ever see the rubber men of Sochihall St?

IMM wrote:

But at least they are not as boring as you are.

LOL. You are fun.

You know it would be really funny if you two guys were actually one and the same person with a split personality. Now that would be a case to write a book about .... ;)

Our snotty uni man is odd. You have a point.

IMM wrote:

The point is I used to live in London. And I never went to the the pubs, clubs, museums, theatres, or use the public transport much, or met any open minded people.
Largely, I was so knackered in dealing with the mechanics of stayng alive, and had so little cash left, that I sued to get home, shut teh door, and go to bed.
Now, living aboyt as far away timewise from teh West End as I used to on North London, although I live in Suffolk, I find the occasional trip to Londomn to todo all that stuff is actually quicker...
And teh pubs are here, if I want them, but generally I don't. In short, I don't miss a single thing. I wake up on Sunday when the first car of the day goes past at 12 o clock, on its way to the pub....and rejoiice.

Well I jolly well DO.

Imm wrote:

Did you stay in and stare at the walls?

Gosh.
Just as well you are away from other people.

Sounds like you had a hectic job ...

Good for you - at least someone can do what they feel makes them happy without worrying about what others believe is right for everyone!! Some days I too like the peace and quiet, some days I like to let it rip a little. Maybe we should meet for a quiet pint in a busy club or a hard night out in an quiet country pub. What's better - the middle ground or alternate extremes! ;o)
al wrote:

Actually in the end I was commuting out of London to Royston and back each day.....I never actually WORKED in london. Strange, isn't it?

Alternate extremes, but mostly just one extreme.
If you REALLY want to see what life is all about, take a trip to the African bush. Its amazing what you DON'T need, and even more amazing hen you discover what is left of yourself when totally divorced from 'modern society'
Mind blowing.
I prefer to be right in, or right out, of a city. I hate the middle ground with a passion.
I livbe as you may have gathered in East Anglia.
Someone remarked that East anglia was nice, because it isn't on the way to anywhere else. If you come here, its to be here.
I have remarked, that people are here, by and large, because they WANT to be here, or are born here. No one comes to suffolk to make their fortunes, or advance their careers. Either they have made a fortune, or stopped trying, or indeed never started.
Therefore people here are not competing with you. They are just 'here' and so are you.
This gives a unique flavour to the place. The home counties are FULL of sharp elbowed suits, nattering on about their cars, their careers, and how much money they are making. Personally I find such people utter bores.

The kettle and pot and black. You were going on about making a load of lolly.

IMM wrote:

? not recently. ?

Haven't been there, but I know I would love that sort of thing - for a holiday. Don't think I'd want to live it all the time. But then, people's values change with age - perhaps I'd want to retire there!

Sounds fine to me, just not my cup of tea at this moment in my life.

There sure are a lot of them and they are prats. But there are so many people here that it is also easy to find good decent people who are a valuable addition to ones life as friends and even colleagues. It's not all pin-stripe tossers here you know!

I have. Brilliant.

With all those flies too.

I hate London or anywhere that is built up. A good night out for me is a quiet meal in a decent and half-empty pub with my wife. My dream home would be a quiet village which has a good pub, post office and place to get provisions.
And I'd sell the car tomorrow if I could find an existence where it wasn't required.
PoP
If you really must use the email address provided with my newsreader please be aware that the email is processed with spamcop. As a result your email to me might be treated as spam!

Small post offices have been made so difficult to run that they have all but disappeared. So the village small shop plus post office is no longer viable in many (most?) places.
--
Tony Williams.

Because they all drive to the local supermarket. It is common to have a supermarket serve a number of villages. Yet villages cry about the POs and shops closing. If the shopped there then they would stay open.

Tony Williams wrote:

Still running strong here. Now has cash machine and petrol station as well.
We calculated its cost relative to 'going into town'. At 30p a mile that is around 6 the trip. 10% uplift on prices means you have to spend more than 60 quid to make it worthwhile...
And its not teh only one around. Next village buy two has excellent post pofficfe and general stoires, there is excellent asian run store in the other direction...

You are lucky..... the villages in rural Herefordshire have mostly kept their pubs, but petrol stations, post offices and village shops are very thin on the ground.
--
Tony Williams.

Tony Williams wrote:

The mistake is, to think you have to compete with the supermarkets.
Jack the prices up and point out that yes, your petrol is 5p more expensive, but how much does it cost to drive 15 miles to tank up?
Same with all teh other stuff. Our shop also does local vegetables and quite decent fruit. It even - and how they got this one worked out i don't know - does tablet salt for water softeners. Ok its 70p more than driving a 20 mile round trip...