Tonight's Property Ladder, Channel 4

Page 12 of 16

More like any jobs.

A recent survey said that the home counties were underpopulated. There is tons of land thee, tons of it. Only in the commuting corridors is it built, and as people tend to use these it gives the wrong impression.
I was in an estate agents office in Herefordshire a few years ago and the woman there was bitching about new houses being built in each village, griping they will all merge into one. They had a large Ordnance survey map on the wall of the area. It looked at it and it was just all green. I pointed to the centre of the largest green area, where a rail line went through, and said build another large village there well away from everyone and out of sight, it can look like an old one if you like. She looked at me in a confused way. People are conditioned that this mass of low productive fields should not be built on. Propaganda over the years has instilled this into them. In fact about three decent sized new villages could have been built in the area well away from all the other villages and towns. Even the traffic could have been directed away from them.

Very true.

The problem is that the power base is in the rural south. The Midlands and north of England catapulted this world forwards with the industrial revolution, with the south being mainly rural market towns. They are not stupid at all and should be allowed to run their own affairs again. The north allowed the south to gasp power. London is arrogant calling the counties that border it the "home£" counties, while the others are away and don't matter. The UK started to decline when the north lost power, politically and economically to the naive rural south. Tony's regional assemblies will redress some of the imbalance.

Modern comms mean you don't need to be in London any more, or most of your operation does not.

βœ–

built,
Very true. It's easy to get a false impression from the road. Flying over parts of London/Home Counties is very educational. Even the zone 1 area of London is actually very green from the air! Long may it stay that way.
βœ–

is
over
of
And so say I.

βœ–

No they won't. The regional assemblies are about taking power away from local councils, not central government.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Not what I heard.

βœ–
IMM wrote:

Has it ever occurred to you that what you hear, especially from politicaisn, and what is actuyally happening and meant to be happening, are indeed to distinct and separate things?
Pity they never did a Bumper Book Of How Politicians Work.
You COULD read 'Animal Fram' or '1984' or Macchiavelli of course, but they have rather big words in them.
Add pictures here
βœ–

I'm sure would have it under your pillow.

βœ–
IMM wrote:

No, thats not what I keep there...

Add pictures here
βœ–
writes

I think IMM needs the Ladybird Book of Politics.
--
A. Top posters.
βœ–

I guess you hear what you want to hear.

.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Add pictures here
βœ–

regional
Andy, you are so funny. LOL.

βœ–
Neil Jones wrote:

Indeed. Brussles and the EU is there to take power away from central government.
Sadly, so far its taken away all teh stupid things instead of concentrating on the real issues.
Add pictures here
βœ–

and
and
You actually believe that the new Regional Assemblies will do anything more than add a further layer of beaurocracy and expense to areas that can ill afford it. I'd agree with their introduction only if it were linked to a reduction in centralised government. We need less government, not more, especially not of the nannying kind.
Cheers Clive
Add pictures here
βœ–

not
more
They are stripping away exiting fragmented tiers and putting in one proper one. Central government will give powers to them.

βœ–

That says it all.... Tony's regional assemblies.......

.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Add pictures here
βœ–

It does.

βœ–
LOL ... I've just read this posting thinking it was IMM and being quite impressed for him presenting some actual facts for once! But of course I now see it wasn't him after looking properly ;)

I've done the sums - it's good for me here.

All very true.

Also very true.

I'd hate the 4 hours more. I'm happy to bring my kids (if/when that happens!!) up here. I only travel 40 mins into work door-to-door, which might seem a lot to some people, but for any sort of large town/city that's pretty good. I can also get myself home at any stage of in the night in virtually any state with the transport options available.

I think plenty of people want to and enjoy living here. The rest of what you're saying is true though.

All cities across the world attract people to them ... thus why they become cities!

I do like Leeds for a night out. Manchester once every year or two maybe!! I think Newcastle is my favorite in Britain. Followed jointly by London and Leeds.

not really ...

true for housing ... nothing else is particularly expensive ...

I don't see it happening in my lifetime! Actually - it better not now that I've bought! ;)
BTW, many firms do open up elsewhere. Look at the major technology firms lining the M4 corridor and around Glasgow. The other UK cities also have their fair share of head offices, etc. too. Just not as high a density of them.
βœ–

I am a highly factual person. I also "know".

βœ–

Damn .... you used quotes ... is that some sort of Matrix-esque "knowing"?
βœ–
al wrote:

I think it means he is a Gnostic...

Add pictures here