TomTom XL IQ Routes 2

My daughter has one of the above and the screen is now blank. The backlight is on and it plays its jingle on reset. It even works on the PC through TT Home. TT want 85 euros to repair it though it is only 24 months old. I can't even see how to get the case apart. To me it sounds like a dislodged display connector. Any ideas?

Reply to
Lawrence

Is it one of the ones with a label along the bottom edge? Screws under that.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Google is (perhaps) your friend

newshound

In message , Lawrence wrote

Google/Youtube for TT battery replacement

The plastic tools shown in some videos can be found on Ebay for little money - usually advertised as mobile phone repair tools

Reply to
Alan

Thanks. I can now get it apart but have no idea how the display connector is attached. Any more ideas?

Reply to
Lawrence

How did it come apart in the end?

Is the connector attached or not?

Reply to
Bob Eager

In message , Lawrence wrote

Probably Youtube tomtom display replacement / repair

Reply to
Alan

Is there no cable from the LCD to the rest of it? If not then look for a row of contacts on the panel and something that looks like a thin stiff rubber block on the circuit board (or vice versa) - this would be a conductive connector which the contacts "sit on".

If the "rubber connector" is what you have, then I've seen issues with cheap timers where the panel moves slightly and will no longer make good contact. The solution for me was to pad the circuit board forward, or the LCD back, forcing them to make physical contact again.

Paul DS.

Reply to
Paul D Smith

TomTom should be disbanded, it is a pestilence on this country. And there is a good reason that there is a TomTom Forum entitled: "Customer Service Feedback - where to file complaints so management will see". Throw it in the recycle bin, where it belongs.

Reply to
Davey