Tomtom Start won't find satellites after software update

Sounds a little like the experience I had with my Go 920, bought specifically because it could transmit the directions (plus music from my IPod) onto the FM band.

Then they took that facility away because it was illegal, yet they still had their reps on various TV shopping channels using it as a selling point and eventually after getting a bloody patch on the front of my head (banging it against their brick wall called customer service) they eventually revived that service again with no explanation why, seeing it was illegal just months before...

Reply to
kraftee

Because 50nW FM transmitters were legalised by OFCOM a couple of years ago.

Reply to
Andy Burns

True, but who would want that coverage at that detail? Over the years I have acquired a large collection of maps for the bits of Europe that at that time and at that scale was of interest. Some of them I have used for years, but more often I find when I need it again it is rather to old to be relied on. Having the whole of Europe or even just GB on hand is very nice but most of it will not be used.

Reply to
djc

In article , Tim Downie writes

Give her an AA Road Atlas for Christmas. In the remainder bins for a quid. No batteries and updated once a year, and she gets to learn to read a map. It's a win-win.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Heresy ;-)

Reply to
Bob Martin

Maps are easier to turn upside-down too... ;-)

Mike.

Reply to
Mike Coon

djc wrote on Nov 29, 2010:

Well I do for one. Of course I don't need all or even most of it; but I can't predict which bit's I will want in the future. But that applies to any map. I don't buy an A to Z because I want to visit every road. The point is that the information is there when and if you want it

Reply to
Mike Lane

This was after that fact......

Reply to
kraftee

I find the TomTom online help is quite good, BUT its not easy to get past the stock answers! You have to accept a FAQ answer, then look carefully at the bottom of the page for the tiny "click here to email us if that didn't answer your question".

They will give you a link to re-download the software. You need to log in to their support system and I think you need some proof of ownership (invoice number or the like).

Must say, as others have, their Quickfix weekly download makes acquisition nearly instantaneous.

Phil

Reply to
Phil Addison

Mine (TomTom GO710) turns the map continuously to keep 'ahead' at the top of the screen. You can chage it to north at the top if you want.

Do make sure you have the latest 'HOME' s/w as well as the latest downloads.

Phil

Reply to
Phil Addison