Tom Tom

I'll bet that you didn't:-)

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Well, Nuremburg *does* have a ring (road);

Huge

Yeahbut none of my GPS's have a 'Short cut' option, only 'Shortest. ;-)

Of course (given the above etc).

They would weigh a bit in yer knapsack. ;-)

I have had several instances where I've been directed off a motorway at a junction, only to be directed back on again but with the view at the right scale I can normally tell which are real route changes and which are not.

Erm, well, again as I can really only speak on behalf of my Garmins, most of the actual wrong turns are me not interpreting (or sometimes noticing / trusting) the data correctly. Like turning 50 yards too early because I forgot to note that it says on the screen '.. in 50 yards ..'.

But yes, I have had (and mostly with the Nuvi) many 'Bear left' type messages when I would have thought 'Stay on this road' or no comment at all would be more appropriate. Not many where it has actually sent us the wrong way. Not the best way maybe.

Indeed.

The thing is, I don't think any system is perfect but I have been so happy with my Garmins over many years and situations (cars, motorbikes, cycles, walking and even on a couple of ferries (I wasn't steering )) that I've not had need to look elsewhere.

Cheers, T i m

p.s. The other thing I 'enjoy' with a GPS and autorouting is not having to do a U turn and pick up your original route plan, if you miss a junction for some reason and were using a more formal / pre prepared plan.

"Off route, recalculating .. Turn left in 2 miles" and a quick look at the new route and unchanged ETA suggest that little may have been lost. ;-)

Reply to
T i m

You would hope the one way sign on the actual street was up to date and that the driver had working eyes!

Reply to
ARWadsworth

I never seemed to have much of a problem driving around london with an A-Z in one hand and an eye on the road

Reply to
geoff

The Nuernberg ring does exist, it's mainly dual carriageway, it's also circumnavigated by Autobahn, the A3, the A9, the A73 and the A6

The Nurburgring isn't but, it is shown as one on german maps

Whatever, it would be "interesting " to see Dennis chugging round either of them at 50km/h in his Corsair, or whatever POS he drives

And interesting from the point of view that he laid down a challenge and he could actually redeem himself by actually turning up at either of the above ...

big boy behind the monitor, yellow livered coward in real life

Reply to
geoff

And Dennis challenged me to a race around it

I think that the knobend confused it with the Nurburgring, don't you

He has still to either acknowledge his mistake or turn up at either location

Reply to
geoff

The worm would get lost on the way.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Non of mine had either. :-(

A good job I don't use them all at once as there would be no room for anything else.

Me too. And as I am usually alone in the car these days not having to stop to look at a map is a real bonus and getting a revised route from the gps is normally no problem.

I sometimes ignore instructions when I want to stick to a particular road. It is very often the case that once the sat-nav gives up on trying to get you back on its preferred route there is only a marginal difference in ETA.

Reply to
Roger Chapman

I notice that *you* didn't turn up and that you wanted to do it during the day rather than at night.

Reply to
dennis

I have a Tom Tom (fairly long in the tooth now) (510?) but I'm still happy with it. Who actually supplies updated information to Tom, such as new roundabouts etc? When I got the machine there was an almost brand-new suburban roundabout which is shewn on Tom Tom, yet there are still a few features which have been there for yonks which are _not_ displayed...

Reply to
Frank Erskine

In message , geoff writes

C'mon dennis

Where and when

We both put down £2000 which you lose if you don't turn up

10 circuits of, I presume, the Nurburgring (yes, I know it came as a bit of a shock to you that Nurburg and Nuernberg are not one and the same, I gave you the chance to apologise, but you don't seem to have done so yet)

That's it

You put up the challenge, I'll let you choose the other details too - all up to you

Lets see you be a man for once in your tedious little life

Reply to
geoff

He's not alone, apparently. A steady stream of morons turn up in Nuremburg looking for the Ring.

No surprise there, then.

Reply to
Huge

Me and other users. You can edit and upload the edits on the newer tomtoms.

Which features? Some are harder to do so they don't get edited in by users. Its impossible to edit in a new road for instance. you can mark it so they can have a look but you can't put it in as a routable road.

Reply to
dennis

You didn't turn up, I don't have time to waste on you. I have a life to live and you don't feature in it. You are insignificant, live with it.

Reply to
dennis

On 07/11/2011 00:32, Frank Erskine wrote

I don't know for sure but some time ago I was told by someone who knew a lot more about these machines than I do that all sat-nav suppliers use one or other of only two map suppliers. (Names were quoted). I think that might have been in a post to uk.rec.walking but can't be sure and as only thread titles are now searchable I can't get at the original information.

Reply to
Roger Chapman

He won't pay up. He still owes me £20,000 for betting that he had flown less than me.

Reply to
Roger Chapman

Tomtom own one of the two, teleatlas being the other IIRC. I have seen AZ road atlases more upto date than tomtom maps BTW. An example would be the level crossing at Tipton railway station, the AZ of Birmingham showed the new road bypassing it a long time before tomtom updated the maps. In fact the AZ showed it before it was completed and open.

Reply to
dennis

The driver said that his company used a version of TomTom's trucker navigation maps. I emailed the company, a 'responsible local business', but they were too busy to reply to my complaint. Maybe a memory jog is due.

Reply to
Davey

If, as I stated, the one-way road has been there for years, then yes, I think it should be correct on current TomToms. If lorry companies don't keep them up to date, then they are stupid for that reason alone. I don't know what TomToms tell people, I don't have one, but when lorry drivers tell me that the same wrong way is the way the TomTom told them to come, I believe them. Anybody reading a real map would not be so stupid, he would see that the turn is far too tight for any lorry to make. Even vans have to take two shots at it. The SatNav in my car tells me 'turn right' or 'turn left', or whatever, it's also stupid in many cases. But it's French, so I'm not surprised, but it tells me how to approach places, by directing me there. Don't TomToms direct drivers, or are they too dumb? And if they don't, why do the drivers tell me that they do?

Reply to
Davey