Toll roads and the law

A friend of mine reckons he can use toll roads in this country to open up his high speed motor without fear of prosecution, I'm not so sure and I told him so, but it does make me think, do Police and emergency services have to pay the toll to get on these roads?

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Your friend is an idiot.

No idea.

Reply to
Huge

The Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984, which is the authority for speed limits, applies to 'any length of highway or of any other road to which the public has access, and includes bridges over which a road passes', so he will find out he is wrong if he tries.

Emergency services and Motability vehicles are exempt from tolls on the M6 toll road and, I would expect at least the emergency services would be exempt on any other toll road. Any likely to use the M6 toll road or Dartford crossing probably has the appropriate electronic tag fitted, so they can pass straight through the toll booths.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Europe is full of toll roads where the usual laws apply. They even check the time on your ticket to make sure you haven't arrived so soon that you must have been speeding. Why does this person think that UK toll roads are different? Perhaps he also thinks no MOT, no insurance, no driving licence, lets give the 14 year olds a chance to blast along at 100mph because they can't stop me.

If there is some bizzarre legislation which makes toll roads private and not subject to the Road Traffic Act or whatever it is nowadays I would be interested in supporting evidence. Which I could then forward to the Daily Mail :-)

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David WE Roberts

Graham.

Story is that when the police have a session with a speed camera on the M6 toll they get good results because of the number of people who think they can got at any speed along it. Can't think where I got that from.

Reply to
Peter Johnson

the plus side, as far as I am aware no one has been done for speeding on my local Asda car park.

HN

Reply to
H. Neary

Probably isn't defined as a highway anyway.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The law applies to any road to which the public has access, which does include supermarket car parks.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

True!

It is actually a religious shrine. A place of miracles! You should see all the diabled people that are miraculously "cured" when they stop in the disabled car park.

When it rains they have been known to jog the 25yds or so to the store.

HN

Reply to
H. Neary

LOL !!

Reply to
robgraham

I have seen the paralympics, and none of the Asda sprinters seem to bear much resemblance, for a start the Asda sprinters seem to favour

4X4's rather than manually powered traction units favoured by the paralympians.

The idea of a disabled car park is to provide room for those with artificial aids or limited mobility to get to and from their vehicles.

I would expect loonies, people with limited hearing or ugly mothers in law to make do with a 50 yard walk like the rest of us.

Disabilities that only become apparent using X ray vision would hardly limit someones ability to walk a few yards extra now, would they?

HN

Reply to
H. Neary

My partner has a form of disability that could not be identified by X-rays (vision or machine), MRI, or pretty much anything else. But they severely impact on her ability to walk across a car park - or anywhere else, especially outdoors. (Mostly she can just about manage indoors.) However, whilst I am sure she would be granted one, she has decided not to ask for a blue badge, partly because she feels so many others are more deserving than she.

There are plenty of people who grossly misuse blue badges. But there are plenty in whom the disability for which a blue badge has been granted is anything but obvious.

Reply to
polygonum

You don't have to have visible damage to be disabled.

Reply to
dennis

We are not talking a polar trek now are we? A supermarket car park is not a great distance to travel even for those with health problems.

Someone who's walking ability is restricted because of heart failiure would not magically be o/k if they were saved walking ten yards or so would they? The fact that they are allowed to drive at all if they have such a serious heart problem may be open to debate BTW.

Incidentally if there are no obvious signs or sounds of their problem, a bit of a walk may not be a bad idea anyway.

A disabled car park is more spacious, although an enlarged heart may be one of the problems associated with the condition, I would doubt that the expansion warrants an extra meter or so of wheelchair of wheelchair space to manouver in.

Disabled spaces are not a consolation prize for someone with a cross to bear, they are specifically designed to serve a purpose for those that need it!

Reply to
H. Neary

New system now being introduced. Badges which have photo and less easily forged. Over 80s will get automatic renewal if they already have a badge, those younger will be subject to reassessment. Over 90s qualify automatically. There is a 34 page booklet on rules and regulations on use of blue badge

- that's bigger than the instruction manual for a video recorder/mobile phone/digital TV in seven languages!!

Reply to
hugh

There's no limit on stupidity, so tell him to go ahead. Remember to post the outcome.

Reply to
grimly4

Umm.. how about a heart condition or one lung? How about chronic arthritis? How about, .... etc?

There's no shortage of conditions that could allow the driver to 'have a good day' when he/she can actually walk fine without displaying the signs of pain or disablement that you are scanning for in your cursory examination. However, I know that some do take the piss; especially those who are out in the disabled person's car for essential supplies. They're not supposed to do their own shopping at the same time - or at least, use disabled spaces when they do.

Reply to
grimly4

on the other hand, when I, as a driver for a local charity, take someone to the local hospital, I am permitted to use one of the Disabled Only spaces at the hospital while I wait - not that I can ever find one free - so I go down the road to Tesco.

Reply to
charles

On Feb 18, 9:19=A0pm, H. Neary wrote= :

That could lead to collapse, particularly at this time of year. Yes a few yards can make all the difference to someone with heart failure.

The enlargement occurs when the heart has been weakened for considerable time it is compensation for weakness in the heart muscle, however that has occured.

and?

Reply to
thirty-six