Toliet Flush- "Humming Pipes"

After flushing and during the "refill" the pipes to our downstairs toilet "hum".

This is a new problem, following a "washer" change in the ball valve. I've going to get another washer today and try again but I am curious about the mechanism that causes the hum.

Ideas, please?

Brian

Reply to
Brian Reay

Mine was like this for several months - each time the downstairs loo was flushed it seemed that every bit of copper pipe in the house was humming loudly. I changed the whole float/valve assembly and the problem was solved immediately.

Franko.

Reply to
Franko

It's the flow of water over the washer, like the reed in a musical instrument. It usually happens when the supply nozzle beds into the washer, but you seem to have the reverse situation here.

Change the water level float a bit or bend the metal arm on the ball if you have that type.

Reply to
EricP

The reason is probably high water pressure coupled with a washer that can compress without much friction.

I had a very high water pressure, and most taps in the house made a vibrating noise when I used rubber or plastic washers. Replacing them with fibre washers fixed the noise, but the fibre washers did not last very long. I installed a pressure reduction valve in the pipe from the road and have had no further problems since, using plastic washers. Try another brand of washer. It's probably unrealistic to reduce the pressure and a fibre washer would not last.

Reply to
Matty F

I've heard of a problem like this being fixed by attaching a baffle which was under the water to the ball arm. This damped vibrations in the lever and stopped the vibrations.

Phil

Reply to
Phil B