Toilet with two doors

There's an outside toilet. Functional, and pretty handy because the workshop is outside and it saves traipsing in with muddy boots and up the stairs to the bathroom.

However there's also a plan to knock-through and make access to this toilet from the inside as well, so as to have a downstairs toilet that's accessible without climbing stairs. I don't want to lose access to it from the outside.

This just leaves the problem of how to arrange door locks! How to arrange two doors, so that the dining philsophers can each make access to the igloo when needed. At least one of these doors also needs to be lockable for security, to the same standard as an "outside" door.

Electrickery is one solution: easy to do the control logic, not so simple / cheap or reliable to install the actual locks or strikes.

Any bright ideas?

Reply to
Andy Dingley

External lock - std deadlock of your choice. Internal 'in use' locks - two off magnetic door catches commoned & operated off lock switches on each door (perhaps disguised to look like ordinary bog locks?).Either switch operates both locks.

Phil.

Reply to
Phil

Assuming this is to save embarrassment rather than prevent attack and to ensure the unused door is not left locked, why not ensure the room has insufficient natural light and have an "occupied" light outside each door off the interior light. The quick and cheap option!

Reply to
Bob Mannix

And would doubtless impart the added advantage that the toilet would never, ever, be occupied by pesky women!

David

Reply to
Lobster

?

Men usually need to go more often than women so men are more often in than women :-)

I can't understand why it needs to be locked at all, ours never has been even when there were seven of us.

When Spouse is outside he uses the drain. If it's raining he uses a large bottle which is emptied in the compost bin.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

You'll never know how close I came to writing "Cue response from Mary Fisher" on the bottom of my previous post... ;-)

David

Reply to
Lobster

Oh - Ithought you had, sorry.

I'll go and write out: "I must not anticipate ... "

100 times.

Mary (Fisher)

Reply to
Mary Fisher