Toilet Trouble

Hi All

Funny things happening with our toilet. Every now and then, when flushed the water level rises to the rim. In the time it takes for the cistern to fill, the level drops back to lower than normal, the last bit sounding like a siphon. No difference whether its number 1 or 2.

Then it's fine for a few days. Checked the usual culprits (swimbo, daughter) and its not them. Prodded around with my springy thing, used caustic soda.

One possibility is my three year old granddaughter - possibly she has flushed something like a toy down there?

Any ideas before I don the extra length marigolds?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

have waterproof cameras. Some are quite small, and relatively cheap, and could be deployed to the final frontier.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Sounds like a blockage. One of our anklebiters went through a brief phase of dropping loo rolls down the pan. They got around the bend then lodged inthe pipework and swelled up.

The best tool I've found for dealing with these things is a 'toilet augur' which you can sometimes get from big B&Qs but I haven't seen elsewhere, even proper plumbers' merchants (though maybe that's because I haven't looked properly or asked). They're a spring about 10mm dia inside a plastic tube which is bent at the end. You withdraw the spring within the tube, push the tube down and partway round the bend, push the spring through it and twist it with a handle at the clean end. This usually breaks up any blockage pronto.

Reply to
John Stumbles

Don't assume it is a blockage near the pan - does the water level rise more if it is flushed soon after a previous flush? Is so it may be close - what is the pipe run like? Is there a long almost horizontal section?

You could try pushing a hosepipe down and blasting water down. It might save you buying something that may not be long enough.

Good luck.

John

Reply to
John

I got one of they - refered to as "my springy thing" and it hasn't yet shifted it.

Dave

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Just shove your hand down, and see whether you can feel anything!

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Hmmm! Got me thinking. It does seem to happen gradually.

The soil pipe leaves the trap turns 90 degrees and immediately goes down below the flooboards, then is horizontal under the floor for about 2' before exiting through the wall and into the soil pipe.

I've got some rods and have an access point fairly near the stack - I might try that.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I've got a better idea Chris, why don't you .......................

:-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I would, if you paid me for the job... it's not that bad, you could always shove some disinfectant down first if you're squeamish.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

That explains the dirt under your fingernails then..

Reply to
Sponix

But be sure to stand well clear as you blast the water.... :-)

Reply to
Frank Erskine

You¢ve got a blockage Get a handyman in

Reply to
DaveWu

He is, he's running a handyman service. lol ;-)

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Whooooosh

Reply to
Steven Campbell

No Shit Sherlock

Pay peanuts get monkeys

Or handypeople

Reply to
Dave W

No Shit Holmes!

Sometimes you can pay broosters and get apes.

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

The soil pipe leaves the trap turns 90 degrees and immediately goes down below the flooboards, then is horizontal under the floor for about 2' before exiting through the wall and into the soil pipe

I don't suppose your arm will rech the horizontal section then. Surely this is the most likely place for a problem - or any 90degree bends.

John

Reply to
John

Yes, but what do you do to the toilet? :-)

Reply to
Andy Hall

Pressure washer?

Make a suitably angled swan neck shaped thingy to go on the end of the lance.

Jet of water is directed towards the blockage.

Reply to
Andy Hall

The problem may not be close to the toilet at all. Our downstairs WC suffers this problem sometimes (twice in four years so hardly a panic situation). On each occasion the actual cause has been a blockage further down along a shared drain (bloody flush and wipe down cloths from neighbours) Whereas the other WCs in our house have stench pipes this particular one discharges into an unvented soil pipe running underground into a manhole. When the manhole fills up it creates a water seal to the discharge pipe and the bowl fills up then slowly goes down. Check the pipe configuration and if the drains are backed up before diving in

Reply to
John