Toilet splashes everywhere!

When we flush our loo it splashes so high that if the lid is not down the water (and everything else!) splashes right out of the pan. The force is such that even when the seat is down some water splashes out onto the floor through the gap between the bowl & the wooden seat. It's a Charlotte with a high cistern & chain (I'm afraid I don't know the correct terms). Has anyone any ideas on how we can reduce the force at which the water flushes as I feel all this splashing about is a little unhygienic! Thanks in anticipation, Jo

Reply to
Jo

You could fit a restrictor in the cistern downpipe. Is the toilet designed to be used with a high-level cistern? Some are not, and will splash copiously due to the high flow rate.

BTW, it's always a good idea to flush with the lid down anyway, since flushing liberates a large cloud of mist (on all toilets).

Reply to
Grunff

Yes, I believe the toilet is meant to be used with this cistern...the bowl is a Charlotte too. The bathroom had not long been installed before we moved in (5 years ago) so I suspect the previous occupants bought the correct 'bits'. We do flush with the lid down usually, but you know what some men are like...! Maybe I'll investigate a restrictor. I'm assuming that if I go into a plumbers merchants they will show me what I need.

Jo

Reply to
Jo

I beg your pardon!

Measure the diameter of the downpipe, you'll need to know what this is in order to get a restrictor.

-- Grunff

Reply to
Grunff

Thanks for your help. I'll give it a go. Jo

Reply to
Jo

I know what's meant :-(

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

or you could insist that users remain seated while the loo is flushed. This would stop the splashing and add the features of a bidet.

Robert

Reply to
Robert

Mmmm! Sounds like a good idea!

Reply to
Jo

a restrictor is simply a lump of something (that wont come apart) stuck in the pipe. I know I wouldnt need a builders merchants for that :)

BTW re toilet flushing, lid down actually increases the amount of mist coming out, so lid up flush is more hygienic.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

?? Tell more please!

Reply to
Grunff

What happens to the mist when you're using a long drop?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

No idea, I never have ... unlike men who often miss when using a wide bowl :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

But thats because toilets are designed to be sat on i.e. for women.

Reply to
BillV

What happens if you miss when using a long drop?

T i m ;-)

Reply to
T i m

I dont remember the name, so have no ref to back it up, but ISTR something on radio 4 about a test of loo misting finding to everyones surprise that more mist was shot out when the lid was down, so lid up flushing is more hygienic.

I suppose theres always the risk I could be talking out my arse... but its what my memory says anyway.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

Apparently this is a really bad idea on airplanes, as one large women discovered when a team of engineers had to come on board after the plane landed to extract her backside from it...

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

This goes back a long way. The results of some research were published in the Design Centre's journal in the 1960's (I think). The same conclusion was reached: lid down = more mist. Nick.

Reply to
Nick Lockett

Makes you wonder why we're all still alive ....

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

A woman didn't design them so there's a shortfall in thinking somewhere along the line.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Or not...