toilet seats

Hi,

Can anyone recommend a good toilet seat?

I prefer wooden ones, only because I stood on a plastic one once (to reach an extractor fan that was above the toilet) and the seat broke! Luckily, I was not injured.

I had a wooden seat, possibly this one, from Screwfix:

it is beginning to discolour. It is not in an area where it could be splashed (!) so I think it must be a reaction to whatever we use to clean it with. It looks like a knot bleeding through the wood, only I think these are mdf.

I suppose I could try to sand it and repaint (with what?) or it might be simpler to just replace it.

What does the panel think?

Thanks, Rob.

Reply to
Robert

I cant remember who does them but I get solid oak ones at about 40 notes a pop

bit of price inflation there.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Whatever you get, get soft closing hinges.

It used to be a regular task tightening up the floppy & poor fitting hinges on our toilet seats. Since paying for decent soft closers, I've not had to touch the hinges in years. They really are vastly better than the common "chromed button" sort of hinge that wobbles around in the holes. Better quality plastic seats will be virtually unbreakable and easier to clean too.

Tim

Reply to
Tim

Tim, please name a make and source. I need one too.

Hugh

Reply to
Hugh Newbury

And make sure it's a 'warm' seat (presumably one with low thermal conductivity). I have one which, unless it has been used in the previous couple of minutes, immediately freezes your bum off when it makes contact.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

Hi,

We have two of this type.

I would highly recommend, sadly I now can't find them for sale myself and I need a third! Anyone know where I can buy one?

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

I got a Croydex one from Amazon! Not too expensive, very solid, white plastic with soft close. It's been installed just over a year and hasn't come loose or moved.

Reply to
Bob Eager

I know you didn't mean me - but I got my white soft-close seat+lid from Wickes and it comes upto par... Decent hinges, nice and strong.

Reply to
Tim Watts

> Only it is beginning to discolour. It is not in an area where it could

Adam! Where are you when I need your wit?

Reply to
Mr Pounder

Are they needed for a single bloke? You could just leave the seat down at all times:-)

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Rule number one. Never stand on anything that wasn't designed to be stood on.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

> Only it is beginning to discolour. It is not in an area where it could

The best is the cheapest lightest flimsiest plastic one. They do not break, they do not break the porcelain when dropped, if you stand on them they just bend.

Reply to
F Murtz

And they heat up quickly from your bum as they are so thin.

Reply to
F Murtz

And very appropriately, they look like shit.

You pays your money.....

Tim

Reply to
Tim

On Wed, 18 Jul 2012, "News" writ:

Percy

is the difference?

soup

Whay hasn't someone made one that can be unclipped from the hinge for proper cleaning?

I saw one today that had buffers that went down the outside of the bowl by about half an inch - it made it "self cetering" provided the buffers had been set up correctly. Took the wiggle strain off the hinges.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

DerbyBorn :

Someone has. The plumber who was here today said that his just pulls up to remove. He takes it into the shower with him once a week. I got the impression that it was made by Villeroy & Boch.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

Whereas ... solving widdle stain would be useful.

Reply to
Jeremy Nicoll - news posts