Toilet seat won't stay up

Just fitted a new toilet seat, and it's doing the same as this video I found:

Like theirs, the seat IS leaning back, so it's not the position that's wrong (although Ihave selected the forward-most point on the hinge setting).

Are looseats supposed to be cushioned movement like this, or is the hinge broken? I tried some light oil and some WD40, but it still won't stay up until I push it up about 5 or 6 times.

Reply to
Major Scott

I would say that it's faulty. I presume that it is meant to be a "soft close" seat hinge? If so, take it back.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Did it hurt you while you were drinking??

Reply to
Mentalguy2k8

I was given it by my uncle who was tidying out his garage. It's never been used, but it's been sat unused in the garage for years.

I can't see how soft close could possibly work. The idea is basically flawed. It's not intelligent, so it can't tell the difference between you lifting and lowering the seat. So the lift is also soft. Which means you can't lift it quickly as it tries to push it back. It'll stay up if you hold it up for long enough (about 10 seconds).

I've Heath Robinsoned it by swapping all the half hinges about causing both the soft ones to be on the lid, and none on the seat. For some reason the lid doesn't suffer from the same problem. I suppose it's tilted further back. Maybe that's the problem - the design of my toilet means that the seat cannot tilt quite so far back, even with the hinges set to the furthest point. It is a fair angle though, and I don't think I've ever seen a toilet seat which tilts further than this.

What's the point of soft close anyway? So it doesn't wake someone up when you drop it in the middle of the night? It doesn't damage a toilet seat to drop it.

Reply to
Major Scott

I've heard of a cat (and a 6 year old boy) doing that, but I've never considered drinking from a toilet bowl.

Reply to
Major Scott

But it does. we have two at home and they're great.

Well it's clear that yours is flawed. Mine lift easily with a just perceptible resistance but there is no "spring back". The lids close softly when flipped towards the closed position.

Well that's one good reason. Another is that in general, the hinges are far better engineered than the usual "crap" offerings.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

You like the soft closing aspect? For what reason?

Like kitchen cupboards? They only brake at the closing point? Maybe the mechanism isn't working right.

I'd prefer a well engineered standard hinge. I take it you can buy new hinges without buying a whole seat?

Reply to
Major Scott

Already covered. Standard hinges work loose, go out of alignment, rot and let the seat fall with a clatter. Why would anyone prefer them?

Nope. They close softly and smoothly though the full arc of motion.

Ours came with the seats. I've never seen them sold separately.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Why do you seem to think soft closing and quality have to go together? Surely you can get quality non-soft-closing ones?

Odd. I can buy door hinges seperately.

Reply to
Major Scott

I don't *think* that they do, it's just my experience.

I quite like having a seat and hinges that match.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

I've never come across this low quality hinge you're talking about.

I'm sure you can pick the right ones yourself. And to your own tastes.

Reply to
Major Scott

Really? Let me know when you find some soft close hinges sold without seats. I won't hold my breath though.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

I was responding to you saying you bought them together so they matched. I was simply dismissing that you have to buy things together to make them match.

Reply to
Major Scott

Okay, show me where you can buy a range of soft close hinges to "mix and match" with any toilet seat.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Like I said, I have no idea what's available. I was simply disagreeing with your statement that you preferred to buy the hinge with the seat **so they matched**.

Reply to
Major Scott

Many moons ago there was a seat that came with a little self adhesive plate. There was a magnet embedded in the front top of the seat and the plate was glued to the cistern at the pint it touched it. Worked very well as long as the cistern had a flat front in the right place. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Not required if the seat stays up by gravity as most do.

Reply to
Major Scott