Toilet seat problem

This is another problem I have to sort out. OH is punishing me for making him fit a new bathroom ( which is now lovely and clean and almost finished ( requires a D shaped plastic piece to seal the larger gap at the back of the bath against the wall - the rest has been done with sealing stuff. ).

So I have a problem with the toilet seat. This isn't the one I bought with the pan and cistern but one my OH " had by him" and whilst beggars are not choosers, it keeps coming undone. The problem seems to be that the seat, and top are fixed together and to the screw bit by a small piece of steel ( metal bar about 2 inches long) which keeps coming out and I end up fiddling with it all to align the three holes and put it back in - only to find it works out again a few days later.

Is there anything I can do to sort this permanently? Its only on the one side. The other is fixed and doesn't keep coming out.

Reply to
sweetheart

picture(s) definitely worth thousands of words for shensible shuggestions to enshue...;>)

JimK

Reply to
JimK

I cant do pictures, I dont have the equippment. Sorry.

Reply to
sweetheart

I know the problem you mean. It seems to be a common problem nowadays. Most toilet seats are fastened this way. They are always coming loose and the seat sliding about. Crap design. Don't know how to fix it though. Mine is currently hanging off yet again! I'm afraid to over-tighten in case the ceramic breaks or the plastic wing nut jumps its threads.

Reply to
David in Normandy

Clean the porcelain and the bracket and a blob of silicon between the hinge and the loo? That could help to stop the hinge sliding without excessive tightening of the bolts.

Reply to
Tim Watts