Toilet paper

,

Yes - but in terms of the logic, it would always work - though if the damned stuff tears to ribbons it can be difficult to see where an end is!

Reply to
polygonum

,

Never experienced that, and TBH, I'm struggling to think of a mechanism whereby that could arise in manufacture.

I'm sure that all toilet paper is perforated *after* the plies have been put together, therefore, it seems most unlikely that there's going to be any "misregistration" of the plies unless you've only unwound one ply.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

That usually just means they've improved *their* brand in some way. Not an improvment over all others.

Worst offenders are domestic cleaners. Continually selling 'improved' ones. Yet they still take as much work to remove a stubborn stain as ever.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I have very fond memories of my maternal Grandmother, who was good fun. She maintained the correct way to use toilet paper was make a hole in the middle and stick you finger through. you then wiped your bum with your finger them cleaned the s-h-1-t off while removing the toilet paper. As you may gather she was not the classic Gran, but she was fun!

Reply to
Broadback

Man at B&Q put finger to keyboard:

"I once bought 'Shop Local' toilet paper. Never again - I looked like someone in fingerless gloves eating Nutella out of the jar." - Jeremy Hardy.

Reply to
Scion

They've improved it over the current quality, which has gradually deteriorated to a point where it's not quite good enough to do the job without excessive layering. All they've really done is to bring it back up the standard after the last improvement.

Is "marketing" an official swear word?

Reply to
John Williamson

They make it from cheaper materials than before, which improves their profits.

Reply to
Windmill

IIRC, the little bit of paper torn out of the hole in the middle was used for cleaning under your finger nail!

Reply to
Chris Hogg

The mechanism has an acronym. SWMBO.

Reply to
Tim Streater

I had an extended, but ultimately pointless, exchange of emails with Sainsbury's about their recycled toilet rolls. Their previous 8-pack (the saving on packaging writ large) was replaced by a 6 pack.

They said that because the roll centre was smaller, it saved lots of lorry loads. I didn't see why the 8-pack was no longer the best solution. They also failed to mention shaving 3.5 mm off the width, which contributed over a third of the volume reduction.

Every change gets a positive spin. The larger centres were originally introduced simply to make the rolls look "fatter" without increasing their content.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

The same thinking that has both "Original" and "New" in large letters on tubs of Flora pretend butter.

No-one bats an eyelid.

Reply to
Sam Plusnet

Did you tell them you stand it on end?

Reply to
Sam Plusnet

In message , Sam Plusnet writes

Ah! The raises a point.

There isn't a convenient place for a bog roll holder in our main bathroom so I stand it on the edge of the bath.

When either of my daughters are home, it invariably ends up on top of the cistern! Spines the age of mine are not sufficiently flexible to easily allow reaching something behind you and standing up is not very convenient....

What do they use it for?

Reply to
Tim Lamb

You got me. In my former life I was, actually, a "grammar nazi": as an information officer, I was paid to be.

But since I - uh - left work, I've become lazier. So that -- in this particular case -- I didn't look it up. I have never had to type the plural of ply before, so I took a guess, and plys "felt" right.

Having looked it up: my Shorter OED doesn't specify a plural, but the (magnificent) dictionary built into my Mac's OS states -- as you say -- "plies".

John

Reply to
Another John

Honest - I *really* meant I was not meaning to chasten you! :-)

But a certain near-antipodean ranter here always does the "-ys" thing. And I see it in many other places as well.

Reply to
polygonum

It's generally advisable to stand up to wipe your back bottom.

Re bog rolls on conventional holders, the correct way to hang it is for the loose end to hang in front of the roll, so that you can grasp it. Otherwise you're groping around betwixt the back of the roll and the wall.

Mine stands on top of the cistern, but in such a manner that if I pick it up with my left hand I can peel off the requisite number of leaves with my dominant hand. (Currently three leaves of Andrex with Shearer Butter flavour.)

Reply to
Frank Erskine

(With Eric Idle handbag in hand) ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ;) I find it generally inadvisable to "stand to wipe" following a dose of the splatts. Have the pressure washer handy.

AD:

brass monkey

In message , Frank Erskine writes

Oh?

I'll wait for others to comment on that:-)

I would have to fiddle through the pile of books and other clutter first.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

On Thursday 28 February 2013 00:21 Frank Erskine wrote in uk.d-i-y:

And why do many public loos (workplace included) have loo roll holders 2' off the floor? And not in the disabled cubicle where it might have a reason to be set at dwarf height?

Reply to
Tim Watts

The previous 'improvement' (which they didn't shout about) reduced the length/area/strength etc of every roll. But someone noticed. So now the

  • new improved * version reverses (a little bit) that change.
Reply to
djc