Toilet Overflow - inside bathroom

1970's ex. council house. Bathroom is entirely inside, with no exterior walls. Have just revealed some hidden pipework to find that the existing WC has an overflow that runs under the bath and emerges in a cupboard in the adjacent bedroom. Fortunately there has never been a problem.

I am about to replace said WC. What is the best way to plumb this given that there is no easy access to an outside wall? Best I have found so far is a tundish and presumably a U bend into the soil pipe. New WC has already been purchased as part of a suite so there is no option of replacing with a WC that will overflow down the pan.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew May

I've seen cistern overfows arranged to discharge over the bath.in similar circumstances. Not very pretty, but you do get a visual warning of a fault.

Reply to
John Williamson

It's a possibility but perhaps I should have said - it is separate bathroom and toilet. But they are next door so I might be able to route it through the adjoining wall. But as you say, not very pretty.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew May

I noticed in an office building that the overflow pipe was taken down and into the toilet pan, The end was flattened to enter below the seat. This gave a letterbox shaped outlet which may have restricted the flow a bit but certainly gave warning of impending problems. One other thought. I don't know how the overflows work that run into the pan, but it seems logical that it is all contained in the syphon unit, so perhaps you might be able to just substitute a replacement syphon.

Reply to
Tinkerer

I hadn't thought that it might be a function of the syphon and not the WC. I shall take a look this evening if I get a chance.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew May

If the new cistern doesn't already have one then replace the flush mechanism with one with an internal overflow, e.g. Screwfix 20824 if it's a siphon type with a lever, or a variflush if it's the drop valve type with a pushbutton.

Reply to
Mike Clarke

Thanks. That looks ideal if it does not already have one - and cheaper and more aesthetically pleasing than a tundish.

The power of Usenet strikes again.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew May

Mine is integral to the siphon - I have checked! (Same problem, ladlocked bog). The bloke in Bath Store said it was a fairly common feature these days

- as I made a point of asking before I bought.

Reply to
Tim Watts

In the dim and distant past I sorted this situation with a special bath overflow fitting. A quick search reveals that they still exist

Tony Bryer

Modern cisterns now have internal overflow, as they do on the continent. makes fitting them much easier. no big holes to drill throught the wall. etc

Reply to
polly filler

except for the even bigger hole to let the turds exit?

Reply to
Gazz

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Tim Watts saying something like:

Pah; teenagers and their magazines.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

You don't have to change the WC, just the flush mechanism. These are OK >

B&Q stock them.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Reply to
Peter Andrews

As others have said, a new toilet is likely to have an internal overflow. But if you really did have to solve this problem, then you might like to consider a one-way valve instead of a U-bend (trap). For a start, you'd have to fill a trap with water at installation time. Then, under ideal circumstances, the cistern will never overflow and the trap might dry out (or contain nasty stagnant water). McAlpine (at least) make a combined one-way valve and tundish-equivalent for this purpose.

Reply to
Mark Williams