Toilet - not flushing

Would appreciate any help - our downstairs toilet is not flushing. I have checked the water tank at the back is filling OK, the handle is turning, and I can see the level inside rising - but we get little or no water. Sometimes by pumping the handle multiple times, eventually it will flush a little.

I am at a bit of a loss now - can anyone direct me to a site with diagrams, or sugges what may be the fault, or offer any other advice to get me in the right direction?

Thanks

Reply to
wizard

If it's a 'standard' syphon valve then it's likely the flap/membrane has perished.

Check out

does yours look like that?

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew Newton

Looks like - I'll get a replacement bit and see if I can fix it, or at least make it worse in an attractive and decoratiive way.

Thanks, it's given me a step forward.

Reply to
wizard

If it's just the membrane that's gone you should be able to cut a replacement from some thick polythene . It worked for us last time.

Reply to
OG

Not too thick polythene however, it needs to be flexible enough to 'crumple' back from the flow of water. A too heavy membrane means that what happens is that it's resistant to crumpling, and you get a very restricted flow. As it happens, tomorrow I'm going to be taking my loo apart to fix this.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Valve type flush mechanisms as opposed to syphon are notoriously leaky. Depending on the filling mechanism, this can go unnoticed as it dribbles water down the pan for years. Certainly a bodge it DIY fix using polythene or anything else is unlikely to produce a reliable seal. Get the proper seal, if it exists, sometime the originals are next to useless too. Luckily with mine, they redesigned the seal and it retro fits to the old models.

-- Mike W

Reply to
visionset

We're talking about the plastic membrane that constitutes the flap valve or 'piston' that lifts water up and over the siphon when you flush.

Push the handle down and the polythene rests against the 'star cage' and acts as a seal,

After the flush, the refill water can easily get past the edges of the valve

Reply to
OG

I meant the syphon sort. Oops - I thought the OPs was one. Syphons of course can't leak that way. (well, barring superfluid helium getting in the cistern)

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Can you spot the "As opposed to syphon" in my post?

Reply to
visionset

Just replace the syphon unit - they are dirt cheap. Not worth mucking about with the defective unit. You can get one at screwfix.

roybennet

Ooops, I must admit I didn't.

But since Ian and I were discussing the OPs problem, and the OP had confirmed that his set-up looked like a syphon flush I think it's reasonable to wonder why you continued the thread as you did (non-syphon systems and bodged seals with polythene).

Reply to
OG

from 'stuff found around the house' . It also reduces the amount of waste we generate.

Reply to
OG