Toilet inlet valve

Hi

I'm in the process of fitting a new bathroom suite and put the new toilet/cistern together yesterday.

It's a modern close coupled type with twin button push flush. The valve assembly is a weird looking thing (at least to me). There's no overflow outlet - so I presume it has an internal (to the bowl) overflow.

It also came with a little plastic inlet filter. Do I need this? The toilet is fed direct from the mains, and is upstairs.

Thanks Marc

Reply to
marc_ely

Yes the overflow is fed directly into the bowl as part of the flushing mechanism. Some might say it is inferior to the old-fashioned overflow out of the side of the wall as it is not as apparent that the cistern is overflowing. However, it saves you having to drill a hole through the side of your house.

Yes use the inlet filter which is supposed to filter out any crud and prevent it from contaminating the filler mechanism (which would then stick partially open, causing the cistern to overflow!)

Reply to
Wingedcat

The message from "marc_ely" contains these words:

If the core of the lifting wossname is hollow then that's where it overflows. I'd fit the filter - there's not particular reason why not and it'll just possibly catch some bit of crud and save you a dodgy valve.

If it's mains fed, it may well have also come with a flow-reducer of some sort. Without it you'll get a very concussive shut off.

Reply to
Guy King

The message from "Wingedcat" contains these words:

It's not just that, it's also easier to ignore. I know someone who's cistern has been overflowing internally for at least a year, but they just won't fix it. Were it an external overflow it'd be much more annoying and probably fixed sooner.

Reply to
Guy King

Thanks for the fast advice everyone . The cistern doesn't have a hole for an overflow so I will stick to the internal type.

I will fit the filter. There were two adaptors with it, one of which will fit my service valve pipe. I'm not sure if it will reduce the flow though.

Marc

Reply to
marc_ely

Two "adaptors" ?? You're not getting confused with the high and low pressure thingymabobs that you fit in to the bottom of the valve before you connect up the supply pipe. ?

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

Pop some plaster or cement down the pan on your next visit. Won't stop the leak immediately but it more or less guarantees that the waste of water will stop :)

It's always sounded a bit dodgy to me this overflow down the pan business. I know the water can't flow uphill but it's hardly hygenic is it? Sort of thing the French might "design"

Reply to
Matt

snipped ......

"unhygienic" .....? Can't quite get your drift on that one I'm afraid

..How is it so ?

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

Y'know, toilet water, lid, head.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

Hm, not too happy with mine. After flushing the cistern is prone to overflow. It matters not how I adjust the float, the problem is the valve does not always close properly, the overflow lasts for anything from a few seconds to several minutes. I've replaced the mechanism once already, and it is a pain as it means disconnecting the inlet pipe and removing the whole caboodle from the cistern. I'm thinking of going back to the old fashioned ones, they seem to last much longer.

Reply to
Broadback

I'm none the wiser ...

Reply to
Stuart

Turn the water off. Take the lid off. Unscrew the large vertically orientated nut that holds the valve/float height detection assembly to the top of the water inlet assembly. Behind it will be a rubber washer with a couple of plastic inserts. Remove it and clear out any debris that has found its way along the supply pipe.

A couple of bits of solder had found their way into mine (yes, I had forgotten to install the filter).

HTH.