Toilet flushing problem

We have a number of toilets with the new dual flushing mechanisms. I think they are Jollyfill.

Occasionally the flushing mechanism jams open at the bottom, so that water is continuously flushing the toilet. The cistern never fills so the inlet valve does not close off.

Are there simple adjustments that can be made to fix this.Knowing our builder they were probably very cheap (I have had to replace the inlet mechanism on one of them. If the advice is to replace them, how easy is the task - I do not fancy disassembling the cistern from the toilet bowl.

Any advice/help would be much appreciated.

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

Can you see what exactly is jamming? If its a siphon this ought to be rather obvious. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Trouble is Brian, they ain't a siphon.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Is this the type that has a float on the side of the flush to counter balance it? If so, you need to adjust that - trial & error I'm afraid.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Are these things a variation of the horrid American flapper-over-a-hole device? Guaranteed to lose seal when you are away for a couple of weeks, especially bad with metered water supply.

Reply to
Davey

indeed

Reply to
Phil L

Are these universal, i.e. will fit any csytern regardless of the distance apart of the inlet and outlet holes?

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

Is this done by adjusting it up and down. I cannot see how the mechanism works, so it is unclear what I am trying to achieve.

thanks

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

If it's this type

are 3 things to look for.

Is the overflow set too low? Is the seal OK? You can twist the mechanism & pull it out to see.

AFAIK the float on the outside controls the level at which the mechanism drops to stop the flush. Try adjusting & see what happens.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Pretty much. There are 2 sizes IIRC.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Does anyone else back that opinion up ? I fitted one a couple of years ago and have been well pleased with it. Rob

Reply to
robgraham

I don't care whether they do or not, it happened to me several times, with variations. It wasn't always while I was away, for example. Did you fit an American device, as described? And I still don't have an answer to my question.

--=20 Davey.

Reply to
Davey

Thanks for all your responses I shall start by having a look at the seal. I had not realised that you could just twist them out.

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

Won't have them in the house. I've met them in hotels, and sometimes had to flush again to reseat the flap and stop them trickling.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ