toilet flush problem

We've got one of those low volume flap valve cisterns on our loo and it's taken to "running on" after you flush. Usually a jiggle of the flush button does the trick but something's obviously not right.

It's not immediately obvious how you get at the bits but it looks to be designed to be serviced in situ. Can anyone advise how to tackle it?

A rather poor picture that may help to identify the brand.

Tim

I thought I might be able to help on this but see this is a different system to the Fluidmaster ones sold by Screwfix. I refitted a shallow cistern with one of these a year ago and have been really impressed by it, both by it's simplicity and effectiveness. Rob

Reply to
robgraham

I find that even if you could get it apart, you often can't get replacement parts. The entire internals are cheap from a decent plumbers so just replace the lot would be my suggestion.

BUT if you can replace the flap valve (assuming it has one), buying a couple of spares at the same time isn't a bad idea. Also, talk to the plumber's merchants as they may be able to recommend "this is the one we always stock and have bits for".

Avoid B&Q and similar as their model and spares change almost daily!

Paul DS

Reply to
Paul D Smith

Don't recognise the brand from the photo, but most of these new fangled things are a bayonet fit. Push down & twist. Sounds like the rubber seal is leaking.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Well after a bit more delving I've got the old valve out which is a Macdee AFV40100. According to this thread Macdee have been taken over numerous times.

I've had a look at this (
) which is visually identical to mine so I'm guessing it is the same part.

The thing is, I can't see anything wrong with my one. Everything slides easily inside. There's no grit or crud inside it and nothing looks broken. I guess I could just order up a Fluidmaster spare but I'm curious as to what's stopping it working properly.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

That's how I got it out thanks. The seal is fine, it just intermittently "hitches up" and won't drop back down for some reason.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

That was my experience too.

I had a fluid master valve that would not stop the water after a flush but I could not see anything obviously wrong with it. Because I needed a quick fix (toilets being essential, used frequently, being on a water meter, etc) I ended up buying a new one.

I posted the faulty one back to the manufacturer so that they could tell me what was wrong with it. they never did tell me but they did send a replacement, so I have a spare if history repeats itself.

I would prefer a valve that was "fit and forget". I don't really want to be having to change it every so many years but I suppose if I have to, at least it is easy to do in situ unlike a siphon. I kept the original base part in position and just replaced the top half, so that there was no need to remove and the drain the cistern first etc.

HTH

Reply to
Fred