Toilet fitting

I want to replace my existing toilet and connect the new pan to the existing 1959 cast iron soil pipe. The pipe exits at a fairly steep angle and has a large flange that the existing pan is puttied into (and it looks a mess!) The soil pipe is approx 4.5" outside diameter and appears to be marked 4". I've uploaded some pictures to:

I'd like to do is to cut back the cast iron pipe to remove the unsightly large flange and use an appropriate push fit wc connector - But which one!

Due to the steep (in excess of 14 degrees) exit angle I guess most of the available Multikwik and McAlpine range won't fit so only the flexible ones, such as the McAlpine WC-F23R, will fit? Or do I keep the flange and putty the new pan back in?

Advice welcome please so I minimise the trips swapping adapters and have the loo out of service for the minimum time :)

TIA

Peter

Reply to
Peter Watson

You will probably have difficulty reusing the current connection method since a modern pan will not match the exit angle. You may also find that the current pipe extends too far into the room to allow a "back to the wall" pan & cistern to be fitted in the right place.

Work out where the new pan needs to go, cut off the pipe someway further back, and fit a shortish flexible connector. Rememeber that if you have one that is a little too long then you can just stuff more of it down the end of the pipe!

Reply to
John Rumm

Thanks John.

A supplementary question - I'm fitting new (vinyl on top of hardboard) flooring at the same time. Screw the pan down to the floorboards first and lay the floor round it or lay the floor and then screw the pan down?

Peter

Reply to
Peter Watson

Oo-er missus!

Reply to
Frank Erskine

If you have the option, then lay the floor first - much simpler than cutting round the pan. Also better should there ever be an overflow incident!

Reply to
John Rumm