Toilet cleaning

Probably not the right place to ask but I think someone here would probably know.

Whats the best way to keep a toilet limescale free.

Around the rim is clean all up untill where the water sits there is limscale. I've tried everything from domestos to scrubbing it off which works but soon comes back.

Any tips and advice warmly welcomed.

Cheers

Reply to
James_sutton

Fitting an ion exchange water softener. Other than that, you may have success with some form of phosphate dosing.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

I am sure there is a Harpic that will remove limescale. Could also, like I have done before, use brick acid (hydrochloric acid) eg from B&Q to remove limescale as its considerable cheaper, darn site more effective, but be careful might attack the wrong things like metals.

Reply to
Ian_m

Use a de-scaler, or hydrochloric acid (often found in limescale removers).

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Regular use of toilet limescale remover available from the supermarket.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

The message from "James_sutton" contains these words:

Don't connect the water.

Reply to
Guy King

Guy King typed

That's a bit harsh; the poster could move to Glasgow... ...and keep the loo really clean by not bothering to use it.

Reply to
Helen Deborah Vecht

Chris Bacon typed

Like Harpic; cleans right round the bend...

Reply to
Helen Deborah Vecht

Commuting to dump, would be a real pain in the ass...

-- Mike W

Reply to
VisionSet

Will a pressure washer remove limescale?

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Domestos won't remove limescale, it just bleaches it so it cant be seen for a while. Acid based limescale remover (not a 'helps prevent' limescale) from any supermarket.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Not very well, but it will deposit water from the toilet all over the operator with much greater efficiency.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

On the plus side, you may never be asked to clean the toilet again.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Frequent cleaning won't allow it to build up in the first place. Once you've removed it a daily wipe round with a cloth is needed, that's all.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Look at the ongoing thread "Re: Hydrochloric Acid - Where can I get some?" elsewhere in this newsgroup - all you need to know (and don't) is in there.

David

Reply to
Lobster

Dose it with a descaler on regular occasions. That particular place is best served by tipping a bit of descaler, or brick acid, in the pan last thing at night.

Best of all, fit a water softener.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Not that well. It depends..sometimes the substrate is no tougher than te scale, and you end up sandblasting it effectively.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

the use of a pumice stone wil eradicate it.

Reply to
DianaU

the use of a pumice stone wil eradicate it.

Reply to
DianaU

Bleach won't remove it, use an acid - there are plenty of limescale- removing toilet cleaners. You can get blocks to put in the cistern that prevent limescale build-up in the bowl, but they can cause leaks in older cisterns which rely on rust and limescale to keep the water in :-)

Reply to
Rob Morley