Toilet cistern flush question

I have had a "modern" close coupled, low volume of water cistern and cartri dge flush installed. After I press the button and the cistern has emptied a nd starts to refill a small-minded trickle of water continues to flow from the cistern into the bowl. This trickle stops when the cistern has refilled . Is this correct operation or is there some fault with the cartridge?

Reply to
clive.r.long

No idea what you mean by "cartridge" but no, it should stop straight away.

Reply to
David Lang

I think he means a dump-valve type flush mechanism rather than a syphon. And yes - once flushed, nothing should flow in to the bowl while the cistern is re-filling. Sounds as if the rubber seal is suspect, and needs a lot of weight of water on it before it seals.

Reply to
Roger Mills

If you are in a hard water area then this could be due to a small deposit of lime scale. Take the top off, turn off the water to the sistern and give everything a good spray with lime scale remover, moving everything up and down to ensure that all surfaces are covered. Leave for half an hour turn on water and flush away the lime scale remover. If this doesn't work you will need to dismantle and clean (on mine the manufacturers suggested replacing the parts!).

Don't use a lime scale remover tablet in the sistern as the little bits that come off the tablet can also get stuck and cause similar problems.

Alan

Reply to
Alan Dawes

I find citric acid crystals (around £5/kilo on ebay or Amazon) are an extremely effective limescale remover.

Reply to
GB

The ones we had in the US had a small tube that deliberately fed water down the overflow tube, that emptied into the bowl, while the fill valve was still open. We assumed it was to make sure the bowl was full of water after a flush, which often nearly emptied them. I hated those America cisterns, the rubber valves were always leaking, which you didn't know until later, and water was usually metered, so it always cost money.

Reply to
Davey

Bloody daft idea in the first place. What was wrong with the siphon?

Reply to
David Lang