Toggler Cavity Wall Fixings Not Opening

I put two Toggler cavity wall fixings (the type which are all plastic and open to a diamond shape) into plasterboard over a studded wall. I then tried to open them using the red rod tool supplied but without success. Had to resort to hammering in a nail - but then could not see if the nail opening the fixing or just drove through it. As far as I can tell the wall is normal thickness plasterboard with normal thickness coat of plaster.

Anyone else had this problem?

Davy

Reply to
Davy

Do you mean these?

so, I cant see how hammering a nail in would help? Are they not opened by pulling rather than pushing?

No experience of them, I assume they are the same principle as the metal anchors?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

> If so, I cant see how hammering a nail in would help? Are they not opened

Dave,

yes that is the kit I am using. Clicking on 'Toggle Anchor System' above shows the components.

the item in detail. The fixing is inserted into the drilled hole by folding the wings the backwards - away from the screw head. Then when inserted the folded centre has to be pushed back to unfold the fixing. The page might indicate the problem - the fixing is described as being for

9-13mm board. I don't know the normal thickness of plaster on plasterboard but I would suspect it is right on the edge of this range?

Davy

Reply to
Davy

Is it sheet plasterboard on studding, or the stuff full of cardboard honeycomb? If there is anything in the cavity getting in the way, perhaps this could be your problem?

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon