Toddler killed by cut off plug

And that has a link to "110V AC speaker", which in turn has a whole list of links to a new craze...connecting loudspeakers directly to mains electricity, usually destroying them, but the big ones make engine-like noises.

alexander.keys1

Why has this been cross-posted here?

David.

Reply to
David Looser

In message , Terry Casey writes

The 10A pins just squeeze through (interference fit).

Reply to
Ian Jackson

writes

may well not be able to push the earth pin all the

and neutral into the thing then the shutters hold

any other plug, which will also hold them in place.)

of the round pins is large enough to splay the

you will get poor - or no - contact.

Oh, live dangerously Ian, this is DIY And the pin dimension would be bottom of my list for not encouraging people to do this, Top of the list is no sensible fuse protection followed by the need to manually open the shutter, or the possibility of damaging the patent MK shutter mechanism.

The pin diameter of a europlug is 4mm and the acceptable thickness of a BS1363 is 3.975 +/- 0.075mm so pins less than 4.05mm diameter shouldn't cause damage. Wiggling the plug up and down may well strain the contacts though.

Did you mention Europlugs are rated at 10A in their native countries?

Sheesh,

Plugging your hi-fi separates into a mains distribution bar protected by a 3A fuse as I do seems safe in comparison.

One thing I just learned though, the pins on a Europlug are not parallel, they are supposed to converge slightly (not after they have been mated with a British socket, though).

Reply to
Graham.

to:

>>> Unlimited Power Socket. Wonderful, so that's what I can use to

You ask that with no suggestion of irony at all? Does everyone on ura share your lack of a SOH?

Reply to
Graham.

to:

> Unlimited Power Socket. Wonderful, so that's what I can use to

And that has a link to "110V AC speaker", which in turn has a whole list of links to a new craze...connecting loudspeakers directly to mains electricity, usually destroying them, but the big ones make engine-like noises.

an old craze judging by the date on the video

Reply to
Graham.

In message , Graham. writes

In a 48 channel cable TV headend, I've seen about 10 channels intermittently disappearing because someone had, at some time, plugged some European equipment into the banks of mains sockets (and hadn't bothered to change the plugs). That is not something you want to have happen!

Reply to
Ian Jackson

"Graham." wrote

Well I can't speak for others on ukra of course, but I wonder I am accused of lacking a sense of humour simply because I don't find somebody destroying a speaker funny? Any idiot can destroy things, if that was all it took to be "funny" scrapyards or war-zones would be the most amusing places on earth!

David.

Reply to
David Looser

speaker funny? Any idiot can destroy things, if

amusing places on earth!

All right, an appreciation for the bizarre then. I was just surprised anyone would find the x-post inappropriate.

Reply to
Graham.

In message , David Looser writes

Were you interfered with as a child?

Reply to
geoff

to:

>>> Unlimited Power Socket. Wonderful, so that's what I can use to

Just kids destroying things. Nothing new there. Don

Reply to
Donwill

You really should get out a bit more.

Reply to
Stephen

Not "bizarre", just plain stupid. But to be honest I find *all* cross-posting inappropriate as in my experience all it achieves is to provide trolls with a new audience to irritate. If you see something that you think might interest members of another group then what's the problem with posting it, separately, to that other group?

David.

Reply to
David Looser

In message , Tim Downie writes

My reading is that this was a length of cable that came with the oven, and was attached to the oven. One end had a standard three pin plug attached.

The OTHER end would have been bare wires where it was attached to the oven. Workman sees the length of the cable is insufficient, neatly undoes it at the oven end, probably from a couple of screw terminals, and replaces with a longer length of flex, complete with new plug.

Then, he leaves the original length of flex, complete with plug at one end, and two bare wires at the other end.

Reply to
Graeme

Is this the same people who blow things up in microwave ovens rescued from the tip?

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Do keep up! We came to this conclusion weeks ago.

Tim

Reply to
Tim

Sorry! News problems at my end - that message as written yonks ago, but has only just escaped from this end :-)

Reply to
Graeme

In message , Graeme writes

Well if you remove parts during a service or installation aren't you required to hand them back to the customer as that's who they belong to?

Reply to
hugh

The Sheriff's report is now available at

Owain

Any idea why I cannot read the right hand side of the page?

Reply to
ARWadsworth