Toddler killed by cut off plug

plastic L and N

These socket safety covers are just a plastic moulding with three prongs corresponding to the pins of a 3 pin plug. Haven't you ever handled one?

Reply to
Graham.

toddlers can be *hard work* and I doubt there are few parents who could = say that they knew where their toddlers were *all* the time within the = house. Once on their feet, they can move with surprising speed.

As a child under the age of 7 I remember poing wires in socket = frequently (I had a bit of a fascination with electricity). Fortunately = for me, we were living in the USA at the time. American sockets at the = time almost invited you to poke things in. ;-)

I soon learnt that a belt off of UK 240 volts *hurt*.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

This one is worth watching for a full explanation:

John Rumm

I prefer the idea of a "receive all" socket.

We came across this one in Kathmandu.

Tim Downie

The suggestion is that the buggers break when inserted upside down.

Some 4 & 6 way trailing plug boards have very little margin above the

Yes, I agree. I have just noticed hat the MEM sockets I have in my computer room have all the pins lower that the rest of the house sockets!

Reply to
ARWadsworth

I've got some sympathy for the handyman, because it really never occurred to me that a plug with an unterminated cable is an inherently dangerous thing. Maybe that's because I don't have kids.

Reply to
BluntChisel

As I think some of us have discussed hereabouts before, in the UK in the 50s one learnt from the abundance of devices (eg irons, TVs) plugged into 2-way or 3-way adapters in bayonet lighting sockets (B22 fittings?)

The plus side was of course that the pins were close enough together to pretty well guarantee the current flowed within a finger or at worst from finger to finger.

But ISTR a three way adapter in a table lamp was a bit of a bugger as one could pick up the lamp in both (smallish) hands and bounce of the wall :(

What do parents do these days about table lights? A no-no for toddlers?

Reply to
Robin

The workmen had gone by sound of it.

By the sound of it, the plug got left behind when they took the cooker away. There seems to be disagreement/confusion as to exactly where it was left.

what wander around it's own home, after a job has been done?

The idiots are the workmen who left a plug in such a state lying around (either cable should have been removed or the pins bent).

Reply to
chris French

Table lights are so 70s.

Everyone uses candles now and burns the house down instead.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

In message , tim.... writes

no, and it's not the sort of thing that an oven would have.

Reply to
chris French

In message , Robin writes

not been that bothered by table lights, though I wouldn't want to leave one around without a bulb in, just in case. I want it pretty much out of they way though in case it pulled it off onto it's head or broke it or something

Reply to
chris French

Power Socket. Wonderful, so that's what I can use to plug the 9kW kiln into. After all, the power is unlimited ;)

JGH

Reply to
jgharston

Reply to
Bob Eager

"Trading standards legislation requires that all domestic electrical goods sold should be fitted with a BS 1363 plug."

Hmmm. Wonder if we can get that changed to "all items intended to be inserted into a BS1363 socket to comply with BS1363".

Of course, they'll then be marketed as post-modernist art ;)

JGH

Reply to
jgharston

Or to insert a European 2-pin plug.

(To insert bare L and N wires, just hold roughly across the holes and plug in any other plug, which will also hold them in place.)

Reply to
BartC

When we had kids 35 years ago in the middle of a major house rebuild, there were many more hazards around, but they all survived (not sure that the parents really did, but that's another matter). I have a total sympathy with all concerned with this - it's a horror story come true, but I do thank you for this discussion as I now have a 9 month old grandchild and have alerted her Mum to this additional risk of modern living.

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

@ Keep children out of work areas, with locked doors if neccessary @ Tell workmen they are allowed to give kids a thumping if they discover, eg, your four-year-old nephew using a broom to swing from the cables you've just neatly clipped into the ceiling void.

JGH

Reply to
jgharston

In message , BartC writes

You should NEVER insert a European 10A plug in a UK 13A socket. The diameter of the round pins is large enough to splay the contacts permanently. If this happens, then when you next insert a UK plug, you will get poor - or no - contact.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

Quite so. Strip the wires and use a Bryant and May plug instead. (insert smiley of choice here)

Reply to
Skipweasel

Agreed. But he didn't mention which size plug!

would a 10A pin pass through the slots in the faceplate? 16A pins obviously won't, so they can be discounted.

The 6A plug has slender pins and fits nicely ...

Reply to
Terry Casey