Toddler killed by cut off plug

Whilst I dare say the story is right regarding the cause of death, why on earth would you bare the wires on the detached plug end of the cable? Normally you'd just chop the cable, then bare the ends on the appliance end of the cable.

I must admit chopped off mains plugs with any wires attached always give me the willies and I either remove the fuse or bin them ASAP to prevent any accidents.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

Oh so he was killed because mummy didn't have child covers on the sockets

tim

Reply to
tim....

So, an unrestrained child wandered into a work area, moved equipment in the work area (the flex with a plug on it), found a power socket to plug it into while ensuring they were holding the exposed end of the flex.

What idiot was letting the child wander around the area in the first place?

I once almost wrenched my back out in a similar situation. I and a colleague were moving a rolled-up carpet and were in the process of dropping it onto the pre-prepared settee when a shout of "my handbag!" caused sudden whiplash trying to get back into an unright position dragging 150 sqft of carpet with us.

Grrr. Natural selection doesn't work when it's not the perpatrator that gets injured.

JGH

Reply to
jgharston

I don't hoard them - I carefully store them and use them from time to time. Honest, I could give up any time I liked.

Reply to
Skipweasel

ARWadsworth

If this is an oven with a mains lead and plug permanently attached, then disconnecting the cable at the oven will leave exposed wires.

But even if cut through, the live wire ends are still visible and can be touched, this time all at once...

Reply to
BartC

news: snipped-for-privacy@k30g2000yqb.googlegroups.com...=

Ah yes, the story makes a lot more sense if you assume that the sitter =

*didn't* cut and strip any wires but instead removed the new cable = altogether and then wired the oven into the existing cable (presumable = because it was easier to get at the back of the new cooker than the = electical point behind the cooker).

Which would be much less likely to administer a fatal shock though.

To those who say the mother was negligent, well I'd just say that = toddlers can be *hard work* and I doubt there are few parents who could = say that they knew where their toddlers were *all* the time within the = house. Once on their feet, they can move with surprising speed.

The fitter was careless however. I'd be surprised if he was unaware of = there being a child in the house. Leaving a plug with a lead with = exposed wires lying around is a bit like leaving a loaded gun lying = around.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

They are pretty fast when crawling. It is not the mother's fault.

Two seconds to remove the fuse or bend the pins so that it will not fit a socket. Basic safety rules were ignored.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

earth pin would not have been able to be inserted in that particular socket unless the plastic L and N pins had been cut off.

Some 4 & 6 way trailing plug boards have very little margin above the earth pin and a plug can easily be inserted upside down.

Reply to
Graham.

by the earth pin

unless the plastic L and N

Um, I don't think so. Most sockets stand proud of the wall and although = you may well not be able to push the earth pin all the way in, it's easy = to push it in far enough to open the shutters.

Never had any truck with these "socket guards" when my kids were young = but most of my siblings bought them.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

plastic L and N

What plastic L & N pins?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

plastic L and N

may well not be able to push the earth pin all the way in, it's easy to push it in far enough to open the shutters.

standrad tick is to use screwdriver in the earth socket so you can poke live and neutral into the thing then the shutters hold it all in place nicely...if your safeblock has wandered off somewhere else.

most of my siblings bought them.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

How would an RCD save the child if held onto line and neutral as was suggested?

Robert

Reply to
RobertL

Strangely, most modern single ovens are only about 1800 - 2200W and do come with a fitted plug.

Sounds like he plugged the plug into a socket.

Reply to
John Rumm

Child covers are more likely to kill the kid in the first place than not having them!

They are a powerfully dumb idea in this country.

They started life in countries without shuttered sockets, however here they serve no purpose generally[1], however they do make it much easier to open the shutters by putting them in the socket upside down etc. Many also make it easy to poke wires in beside them.

[1] Yes in this exceptional case, they may have helped - but generally kids don't have access to plugs with unterminated trailing wires attached.

Reply to
John Rumm

plastic L and N

That is the problem - they are plastic and flimsy - hence its easy to push the earth pin in and the rest bends (or breaks) out of the way.

Indeed. Hence why RCD protection for all accessible sockets is a sensible precaution when kids are about (as a backup to education - however, not all kids can be taught to not be inquisitive in such matters!)

Reply to
John Rumm

I have already linked to the site earlier in the thread. Now the site does show this video

shows how poor they are.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

These days there will be someone like Denis suggesting you should be arrested for that since you did not follow WEEE disposal procedures!

Reply to
John Rumm

be *hard work* and I doubt there are few parents who could say that they knew where their toddlers were *all* the time within the house. Once on their feet, they can move with surprising speed.

Indeed - more to the point you can't foresee every eventuality. The child only has to succeed in doing something daft once, the parents have to succeed in stopping it every time.

Reply to
John Rumm

the earth pin

plastic L and N

may well not be able to push the earth pin all the

and neutral into the thing then the shutters hold it

most of my siblings bought them.

The problem with the Safeblock was deciding what plug to put on the cable Didn't you have a Fitall plug?

problem was in Manchester I found a lot of Wylex plugs and even the Fitall couldn't cope.

Reply to
Graham.