Todays workfun

Actually tomorrows workfun.

This was a barrier to a car park.

Unfortunately a woman driver hit it

Once I had cleaned the glass and crap out of the hole I managed to get a conduit U box on (the barrier is no longer needed but the second SWA feds the car park lights). Not much space and I had to reuse the existing gland packs that were already fitted to the cable as a temporary job

Tomorrow I will replace the gland packs for waterproof ones with proper fitting boots, swap the choc block for crimps and fill the conduit box with putty. Then the box can then be covered with cold tarmac.

Then the trouble starts - no one knows where the power is fed from!!

It has obviously blown a MCB or fuse but where the hell is it? I would not have done a temporary repair if I had realised that no one knew where it was powered from. I was told to get the car park lights back on.

Reply to
ARW

Fused spur with the fuse box in a cupboard behind a filing cabinet? "Beware of the leopard"?

Reply to
Adam Funk

In message , ARW writes

Tone generator and a cat?

Is that a big spring that I can see in one of the photos? I had a barrier similar to yours where the spring had snapped, it trashed the electronics that were inside the cabinet, rather glad I was no where near it when it went.

Reply to
Bill

Interesting - thanks for sharing...

I feel your pain. Summer fete at primary school - we took out the hall sockets. Took me 15 minutes to locate the failed MCB - in the panel by the kitchen which was furthest from the hall, of course. Big panels, loads of MCBs and several of which were (presumably) supposed to be off.

We took a guess at the 32A one that was off (but could easily have been a 20A).

That was a village primary with 6 classrooms on one floor, one building

- not exactly a megalithic structure!

Reply to
Tim Watts

Could well be that sort of hunt.

There used to be a car park nearby with a CU under a manhole cover in the car park. It was fun working on that once I found it.

It also once took me the best part of three hours in a house to find a fusebox that was hidden in the cavity wall under the windowsill.

Reply to
ARW

There are stories of functioning computers being bricked up - first time I've heard of a CU. Who does that?

Reply to
Tim Watts

the most impressive was a lit gas light walled up for 90 years. When unearthed it was still lit. I failed to find a link to it when I looked for it later though.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I've found a few valved TV distribution amps in the lofts of council houses and in wallboxes on the gable ends, still powered and all nice and smokey.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

The gas in the building had never been turned off (e.g., for service) in 90 years? Or was it a street light that someone built a wall around?

Reply to
Adam Funk

All I could find was

Neon is a gas isn;t it ;-)

Reply to
whisky-dave

It was found walled off in a house, still lit. It seems odd that it never g ot turned off, but such things can happen. I remember visiting one place in about '89 where one part of the building still had old gas lighting and no electricity. But I've failed to find the article since.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Urban myth. You must be simple minded to believe it.

Reply to
harry

Can't be the UK. Gas pipes were purged of town gas and replaced with NG

50 or so years ago!
Reply to
Fredxxx

+1.