Toasters

I've just pronounced my Russell Hobbs Classic toaster beyond repair.

It is a good few years old, and whilst I was able to make my way inside and diagnose the failure (a bit of springy wire had fatigued) the plastic it clipped onto was too fragile for me to fashion and install a replacement.

For such an inexpensive item (unless you really want it to be) I am loath to spend hours searching through on-line reviews. My usual first look at Which? seems to produce Best Buys which have nevertheless attracted a significant number of negative comments.

Similarly, Amazon seems to produce a wide spread of experience, such that it is sometimes hard to believe they have used the same hardware.

I suppose my requirements are 2-slot, able to take large or thick slices, brown evenly and have high enough lift to remove teacakes and similar small items without having to use tongs.

I have no particular need to toast one side of a bagel, warm my buns, or be able to count down to l(a)unch.

What should I look at?

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

I reckon there is a market for something like a thin version of the chip shop frying basket, so that these items can be hung in place and then retrieved. At the moment, I use the 'eject and spear while in flight' method. I will watch this thread with interest.

Reply to
Davey

FWIW We've had one of these which has performed satisfactorily for nearly 20 years:

And they seem to be still making them, which must be a good sign.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

We had one of those. The slots are way too small and restrictive IMO. Nine out of ten slices of what *I* wanted to put in wouldn't fit. Fine if you don't mind your slice size being somewhat limited.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

There is, but don't bother writing in to Dragons' Den as it's already been done.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Both my mum and inlaws happen to have the 4 slot version. Both developed the small fault - though I can't remember what ! - but it hasn't stopped them using them whatever it is. Seem fine otherwise.

Still loving our dualit though.

Reply to
Chris French

Dualit.

The traditional one, not the newer ones:

But the last time that I recall this question cropping up here, there was the usual: "I can buy 5 cheapies from Argos for the price of a Dualit" type of response, so make of that what you will.

My Dualit is relatively new. Only about 5 years old.

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson

We've just been through this process - had a Swan 2 long slot toaster which broke after very long service. We started looking for one with stainless steel finish to match other stuff in the kitchen. Gave up in the end - I think we found one long slot (Graef) listed at John Lewis at £79.95 but it was only one slot. Apparently we were looking for a toaster which handles "artisan bread" - you know, the unsliced stuff you can get in any supermarket. We eventually bought a Kenwood TTP210

4-Slice 2 long slot toaster for £35.95 from John Lewis - seems to do the job, my wife reckons it doesn't toast very evenly but I've not really found a problem with it. It has a lever you can flick smaller items up with.

Dualit used to do a 2 long slot toaster but when we looked it had been discontinued.

Since buying our toaster we have noticed several white 2 long slot toasters in discount shops for around £10-£15 - no idea if they are any good though!

I don't understand why anyone would buy a toaster which can only handle square bread.

Biggles Remove packaging. to e-mail me

Reply to
Biggles

Darn! Beaten to it. Oh well.

Reply to
Davey

I inherited a Dualit about a year ago that looks the same as that linked

- it was already 10 yrs+. I've grown to like it.

Reply to
RJH

There's no such thing as a toaster that can only handle square bread.

If a slice is too long for your slot, just cut it in half. That works for me, and the bread comes in all shapes and sizes *except* square. That's because, in the best traditions of this group, I make it myself.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

i certainly had a toaster that came with folding holders to help put small items in and out.

Reply to
Malcolm G

I fault I had frequently with my old Tefal Avanti was a few crumbs getting onto the face of the electro magnet and redering the hold-down mechanism useless until stripped and cleaned.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

A truly awful thing for the following reasons:

It is twice as big as it needs to be The build is so heavy that you need to pre warm it by running it empty in order to get elements evenly hot You can't save the setting, you have to remember where to set the timer dial The timer is !NOISY! Click clicl cliclk click. When the noise has annoyed you you will be outraged to find that the noise doesn't stop when the elements do - the timer runs on a bit so it doesn't even tell you when your toast is done. The 1 or 2 slice switch turns off only 2 of 3 elements. You will sometimes get bread toasted one side only if you can't remember which slot is which. The elements fail frequently. Because they were designed in the 19th century the element is wrapped around a sheet of mineral mica so replacement elements cost more than a normal toaster. It's only good for Sunblest type bread. It won't toast buns, bagels, baguettes, Batch or bloomer which is too thick/small/thin/wide unless carefully cut to the dims of a slice of Sunblest.

Really. don't bother. If you are even slightly irritable in the mornings you will learn to hate it, and hatred at the breakfast table is not good. It can affect you marriage, your work life, your health, everything. Walk away before you waste £150.

Tim W (Whose life was nearly ruined by a Dualit Wedding present)

Reply to
Tim w

:)

We have a Dualit. It has some advantages:

It is very robust - we are a large family and were going through 1 conventional toaster a year. The Dualit has lasted 10 years.

You can pop the toast up mid-toast to see how it's getting on.

The timer is large and easy to set pretty exactly. By now, I know what settings to use, depending on whether the bread is frozen/fresh/slightly stale and the toaster is warm or cold. The noise is not an issue.

Reply to
GB

Even if you've had a half century of toast making like me you might be suprised to find that that chirpy dick from Essex is getting even richer than he was by telling us all how to make toast the Italian way.

Tim W

Reply to
Tim w

If its not yet mass market and produced by every badge engineered company out there, its probably got a problem you only find out about when you use it. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

We're a +1 for Tefal. Been functioning 10+ years, 2 slot, wide slots, muffin carrier on top. The only down side is that it doesn't have a spring system to throw the toast out when done!

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

I love our wedding present Dualit - now in it's 18th year. :-) (not sure I could ever bring myself to buy one for myself though)

I've never preheated it, never had to replace an element, the noise is useful - and it clicks as it turns off, just before the timer stops.

I fidn that I can easily set the timer to about the right amount depending on the bread. And what I do like is that you can lift the bread to see how it is doing with out cancelling the toasting.

True it's not great for things like teacakes etc as they are prone to getting stuck, though crumpets are normally fine.- though I've always preferred the grill for such things anyway. I toast all sorts of bread, hand sliced or pre sliced in it though.

And it's great for having how far can we fire toast across the kitchen competitions

Reply to
Chris French

Have a think about a small toaster oven. Prices start from as low as £20.99 on Amazon. Our niece has one in the US and finds it much more versatile than a toaster.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+