Toaster repair

Just fixed the 10 year old Dualit for the first time. Someone bashed it and broke the neon indicator, and I also replaced one of the elements that was getting a little iffy. The securing nuts are 6.5mm - they will sell you a spanner! I used 4BA spanners which worked fine.

The amusing part was when I mentioned it afterwards, and someone pointed out that (according to the university's official wi-fi guidance) toasters can interfere with the wi-fi signal...I'm at a loss to see how any toaster could, but certainly not the Dualit...

Reply to
Bob Eager

Perhaps you can buy a pop-up blocker for it.

Reply to
Graham.

Page 4 would have you believe that a toaster ovens (whatever they are) benefit wi-fi operation (sort of)

" In a simple scenario, an enterprising employee who is fed up with the old toaster oven might suddenly bestow a new microwave upon the corporate kitchen, thus causing unexpected wireless LAN interference every time he heats up his lunch "

Reply to
Graham.

A good idea! :-)

Of course, the Dualit never pops up....

Reply to
Bob Eager

So that's what the 6.5mm sockets in damn near every 1/4" socket set are for...

How many do you need?

Reply to
Adrian

Well, I understand that some toasters use a Triac to adjust the power to the elements, but then so do old fashioned dimmer switches.

I'm surprised any toaster is serviceable. all the ones I've had recently are riveted or bonded together so you cannot do anything with them. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Yes, but toasters don't use Microwaves, have you ever tried to toast in a microwave? You end up with warm hard bread that is it.

Its a real shame that innovative companies like Phillips no longer exist as far as design is concerned in this area. They would have by now had the internet connected toaster with linear motor driven slice expulsion system etc. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

That'll be why there's no interference, then. ;-)

Reply to
John Williamson

Well brian, all you have to do is get an old CD rom Drive, adapt it to take a slice of bread, and up the laser power to around 500W.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

We'd also have the Craporama Talkie-Toaster

Reply to
Paul Herber

Or build one of these:-

(Brian, it's a picture of a home made toaster that prints a 6 by 6 pixel image onto a slice of bread using car cigarette lighters. It gets the picture from Google.)

I'd guess that a scanning 5 watt infra red laser should be able to burn a decent quality image,

Reply to
John Williamson

We already do:-

John Williamson

Just don't go there:

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson

Funnily enough, none of mine do...

But, as I said 4BA worked nicely.

Reply to
Bob Eager

It's aDualit. A proper Dualit!

Reply to
Bob Eager

Back in the Eighties the elements came complete with a spanner!

Reply to
Mr Fuxit

Cylons - watch out for them.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Can you use a dual-core toaster for simultaneously burning toast and DVDs?

Reply to
Ian Jackson