to brush or to roll?

er - wossat then?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Used in some families to punish children.

Reply to
S Viemeister

Hmm. Does it work?

I'm just trying to decipher the name of a customer - written by me. I've had to admit defeat and mailed his lady saying that going on for sixty years ago I often had a ruler across my little chubby knuckles because my writing was so awful.

It just goes to show that corporal punishment didn't do anything for me ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I don't know - I've never tried it. Too late now, anyhow - they're bigger than I am.

Hitting wasn't permitted at my school (luckily for me).

Sheila

Reply to
S Viemeister

I didn't do it either. Spouse once hit a daughter and he broke his wristwatch which made him even more furious and everyone else laugh ...

You're so young :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Hah. Haven't been young for years and years. (I didn't attend an English primary school.)

Sheila

Reply to
S Viemeister

Roller is way quicker than brush, but it splatters everywhere. If the room is completely stripped, fine, but otherwise all the extra paper and clear up negates the time saving IME.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

Oh well..... You missed out there then.

- School milk in 1/3 pint bottles which in the winter froze and had to be thawed on the heating pipes.

- Toilets on the other side of the playground and open to the elements.

- Music and Movement to the accompaniment of the Radio every morning

- Listen with Mother on the radio at 1345 every day for reception class

- Permanent scabs on knees from falling over in the playground

- School dinners consisting of unidentifiable material

- The gymshoe or the cane for anybody who was naughty

- Teachers who were allowed to teach what was important rather than what was politically correct.

- Probably the best days of my life.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

I remember the little milk bottles. The school ones never froze, though. (The ones at home did!)

Three days a week to Mrs Wall playing the piano.

The scars finally faded a few years ago.

Went home to eat.

Yes - I had fantastic teachers.

Sheila

Reply to
S Viemeister

All right, enough already - I give in - having been given the brush-off I shall roll over (sorry). (I don't believe your last sentence, you don't sound the type!).

Bob Mannix

Reply to
Bob Mannix

All absolutely what I remember.

I hated every bloody minute of it, it was the most truly awful part of my life. I did end up with three good A levels in spite of it all so it's not just sour grapes.

My first job as an apprentice in an electronics firm was a revelation, it was fantastic compared to school (and university for that matter).

Reply to
usenet

Oh it wasn't a tale of woe - I was just explaining that being grandparents doesn't necessarily mean that you have more time than when you only had the dependence of one generation.

:-)

(I don't believe your last sentence, you don't

I was talking to my publisher's wife about this last night. Although she doesn't have grandchildren yet she's, if anything, busier than I am. She asked, "Knitting? Oh yes, that's what we used to do twenty years ago when we only had toddlers and babies and had time for ourselves ... "

Actually I used to knit a lot. I'd like to again but there has to be the space. Also, since my arthritis makes sitting a killer, it wouldn't be the pleasure it was :-(

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Mine was worse than that - it was in the North of England. I was lucky not to be in the mill next door.

:-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Decent dust sheets are what's needed! Fraction of the time of using paper.

If you're cutting in is any good you don't need to mask anything, and one of the reasons decorators paint woodwork last is that any fine roller spatters (if you dont' go mad with a roller they are pretty fine, there's definitely a knack to it) dry quickly and are not seen under the gloss/eggshell finish coats.

Even if you use an emulsion brush you still need to do cutting in with a smaller brush, so there's no time saving there.

-- Richard Sampson

RichardS

I liked that.

There was a roof! But they were further away than the air-raid shelters.

We didn't have radio in school until one waws imported into my high school for the Coronation.

And picking them off. - Hey - don't kids fall down and get scabs now?

Some was identificable as cardboard. That was in the 'poptato'. I liked the porridge we often had for pudding. Look - when you're hungry you'll eat anything. There were no picky eaters then.

No gymshoes in my day. No cane either, two rulers across the knuckles. And there was always the threat of The Black Book. My parents had gone to the same school and both their names, they claimed, were in The Black Book.

Ah yes ...

Well, for me every day is better than the last but I do know what you mean. They WERE good days. But so is today - I'm alive.

Or: I hurt therefore I am.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I still have one

But it wasn't from the playground - I fell down the stone cellar steps while wearing wooden clogs.

There's posh!

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Well, it was definitely good paint and has an excellent flat finish. I wouldn't say 2-and-a-bit times better than the leyland trade matt that I normally use, however (which is approximately the price differential). Still, whatever colour kept SWMBO happy....

I'll try and use the rolling on-brushing off technique with the leyland paint when I decorate my office this year and compare the finish.

-- Richard Sampson

RichardS

My kids primary school only recently got inside toilets. And the school opened in 1645 - took quite a long time to get those installed :-).

I think you'd be surprised at how appalling some schools still are re the facilities.

Tony

Reply to
Tony

I doubt that in 1645 there were any toilets!

Well, it's more a matter of what we're used to and our expectations. We have an outside toilet at home - a longdrop in the garden. And an indoor one which is wasteful of water, for during the night or bad weather - we're as soft as most people in industrialised countries.

Outside school toilets aren't as bad for our children as some of the stuff which is pushed at them inside the building. Nor as much of the 'food' they're given to et at home.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I don't think they're allowed to do anything that could possibly (however small the risk) involve falling down any more.

Laceration can lead to a nasty case of litigation you see.....

-- Richard Sampson

RichardS