to brush or to roll?

This must be an old chestnut, but I couldn't find a relevant thread by googling, so here goes:

For appplying emulsion to walls and ceilings, what's the general view on rolling vs brushing? I much prefer a brushed finished, especially in the more formal rooms of a house, and in older properties. I was speaking to an otherwise excellent decorator the other day who had a beautiful portfolio of work, but told me he always rolled as brushing was too slow. BUt given that most of the time is spent on the prep anyway (thinking of Victorian rooms here, grotty sashes, crumbly plaster), surely this is a minor consideration.

Reply to
John Richer

Well you have answered your own question haven't you? I always roll (having cut in with a brush) because I prefer the rolled finish (and it's a lot quicker). If you *much* prefer the brushed finish, why are you even asking - you are the one who has to live with it!

Bob Mannix

Reply to
Bob Mannix

I prefer living with the brushed finish too.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

To be specific, I suppose I was (a) interested in others' opinions and (b) after a guess as to *how* much longer (more expensive) it would take to brush rather than roll a 5m x 4m room, for a professional decorator. I figured a big emulsion brush on a well prepared surface wouldn't be so much slower than rolling, for a pro.

Reply to
John Richer

Pads every time. Nicer finish than brush or roller, cleaner than rolling, and nearly as quick as rolling.

Reply to
Grunff

Yes Seconded, ive been using Pads for years now better finish then a roller and I don't get paint splatters on my glasses doing ceilings. Local pound shop does them, erm for a pound so there almost use once disposable.

Reply to
Mark

Combination of disposable pads and Harris tray liners (2 for 50p) means no more washing up.

Reply to
Grunff

Yeah, those Tampax sure mess up the finish...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Personally, I'm a roller type, despite every attempt my mother made from birth to steer me towards pads. I can't seem to get a consistent film thickness with pads, whilst brushes leave horrible brush marks. I'd probably spray everything if I had a spray gun, though, and could empty the room of furniture (rarely possible). My ideal surface has no application marks at all.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Hear, hear!

Bob

Reply to
Bob Mannix

Painted a room a short while ago using Farrow and Ball's Estate Emulsion. This was the first time I'd used this particular paint, and the advice on the tin was to apply with a brush for the flattest finish.

I didn't - went for applying with a roller and then laying off with an emulsion brush - gave a very good flat finish and I reckon quicker than just applying with a brush.

IMHO roller is quicker. perhaps as much as 30 to 50% quicker for a pro.

-- Richard Sampson

RichardS

It's a nice paint which helps as well.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Lovely paint - but a roller isn't suitable for all conditions - such as small profiles.

I prefer the action of using a brush for any paint, time isn't important, the pleasure of the activity is. But Spouse prefers a pad and sometimes a roller. I don't insist that he uses a brush, I'd have to clean it :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

But there surely isn't anything as satisfying as going over the wall with the roller? I cut in first with a brush and the sheer pleasure of filling in the middle in around 1 minute flat can't be overestimated, especially after spending time carefully butting up to a picture rail or WHY.

Actually, I've just thought of a few things more satisfying, but it is still pretty good.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Ah, all is clear, we clearly inhabit a different planet to you.. :o)

Bob Mannix

Reply to
Bob Mannix

It depends what you enjoy.

Because, for me, speed isn't important. And I really wouldn't want to use two different applicators.

:-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Which planet are you on then?

:-)

Actually, I suspect it's less a matter of space, more time. I do tend to live in the past ...

And in fact I do save a lot of time by not painting that often ... the last time a room in this house was painted was about five years ago. The previous occasion was more than ten, before that I can't remember. Different rooms by the way. So when I do it's a novelty and I want to experience it to the full

I've been looking at the smallest room, some of the bl**dy grandchildren have been picking at the paper. I now understand how my aunt felt (who owned this house from new) when I carefully squashed down all the bubbles in the Anaglypta I could reach while sitting with my little legs dangling ... and denied it of course. I think I can't bear it any longer and shall have to find a brush.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

You explain that lower down in your reply. You are on planet grandchildren, I have not managed lift off from planet children yet - maximum wear and tear, minimum time to do anything about it. Rollers for the foreseeable....

Bob Mannix

Reply to
Bob Mannix

grandchildren,

foreseeable....

Hey! Just because you have grandchildren doesn't mean the children disappear.

In the last month we've helped one son build a reclaimed brick garage (having reclaimed the bricks for him and cleaned them some time ago). Another son has moved to a house which needs a huge amount doing to it. We spent last weekend (remember that glorious weather?) indoors demolishing walls, re-wiring, de-nailing a floor (why did people use twenty five nails per square foot?) (I counted) and sweeping the debris of half a century as well as the chimney. I'm also doing his laundry until he gets the plumbing fixed - which will involve Dad's help. The decorating will be last on the list but it's a l-o-n-g list. Another son brought a car for Dad to do welding. A daughter will be haymaking soon, she's hinted that we might like to spend some time for relaxing on her farm. I bet there won't be much relaxing, there'll be shearing as well as haymaking. The other daughter just needed a pair of horn spectacle frames.

For nineteen years the demands from and caused by eight grandchildren have been more than from five children, now, it seems, we have the sum of both - plus their wives and husbands.

Perhaps now you understand why I like to have an excuse to take time with a task ... :-) I should be sitting smelling of lavender and knitting ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

"Mary Fisher" wrote | I've been looking at the smallest room, some of the bl**dy grandchildren | have been picking at the paper. .... I think I can't bear it any longer | and shall have to find a brush.

A hairbrush? :-)

Owain

Reply to
Owain