TLC Indirect

John Rumm coughed up some electrons that declared:

I don't doubt it John. But what seems to escape these eejits, is the design and implementation is largely a one off capital expense amortised over as many customers as you can muster. You know that of course, but I had to say it. Every website needs ongoing development and maintenance, and I doubt a good website is *much* more costly to maintain and develop than a crap one.

OK, perhaps a fancy website with excellent descriptions and good seraching and store integration takes more user input and more hardware, but again, that's amortised over the whole operation. TS managed most of it bar the good descriptions, which is odd, because I assume they produce their catalogue electronically, so surely the lines data could just be shared between catalogue and website. It's almost as if they expect you to browse the web with catalogue in hand (web shows the page number by each item).

Brains not invented here probably...

OK, I did cite Germans. Who for the most part seem to spawn less genetic waste than us (thinking of the Bavarians and Franconians - can't speak for the rest of them). But I assume if such a thing happens, they come knocking on the door of the last card payer for that bike.

Sounds similar to Harrow. Down here, we've got the Allington incinerator/generator plant gradually coming on line. They recycle householder seperated waste (not clear if that's a mixed scheme or totally seperated scheme) and burn the rest for electricity.

Good old Harrison for getting the ball rolling :) But did you notice how much trouble he had getting his prize for the H-4 despite meeting the targets. Board of Longtitude = Administrators?

It only goes pear shaped when

Smiting. That's what we need. Good selective smiting.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

Its not that long ago I threw out the gold coloured 50th (or was it

25th?) special anniversary edition RS catalogue (about a 1/4 the size of a current CPC cat) that I had kept for years.
Reply to
John Rumm

RS (or Radiospares then) catalogue used to be around 50 pages A5 size with a loop of string in the corner to hang on a hook. That would have been in the late 60s I think. My Dad used to bring them home from work for me to get bits from.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

We've got that, but the recycling bin lorry is a long articulated flatbed affair with a multitude of mini-skips on it, so the bin-collectors do the separation.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Have you tried Canford Audio's website ...

PDF upon PDF of catalogue pages.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

In message , Tim S writes

Prolly because they have national [1] pride and a sense of identity

Its nice to be a Preisz, but its higher to be a Bayer ...

[1] Frankish or Bayerish
Reply to
geoff

Huge coughed up some electrons that declared:

No not really - I'm too conditioned to expect any better

Don't do that - you'll be at the mercy of the NHS (or do you live somewhere sensible?)

Reply to
Tim S

Germany still has National Service :-)

Pete

Reply to
Pete Verdon

The one my Dad bought home was A4 size but still small enough to be of the folded and stapled type. So about 50 pages again. I did have it for a long time and it may still be lurking somewhere but haven't seen it for ages.

Couldn't afford a bits from it. I think bits commited suicide by jumping into his pocket when he visited the labs/workshops. B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Not if I can help it.

They do have some web pages but if you click through to view details of an item you do indeed end up on a .pdf of the catalogue page.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

That's a particular pet hate of mine regarding the Argos website. Select item, select store. 'Sorry not in stock, try another store'. Presents series of check boxes for of all nearby stores. Select the stores that are easy to get to. "You can only select one store". Mutter: that is what radio buttons a for. Grrrr.

Reply to
Andrew May

They tried something similar in in Cambridge years ago. Take all the unclaimed bikes that the Police have recovered. Get young offenders to paint them all green. Arrange special bike parks around town. The idea was that when you need a bike you grab it from one stand cycle to where you want go and leave it at a stand near your destination for the next person.

Problem was, they launched the scheme to much fanfare and within a week they had all been nicked.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew May

We're not allowed to put food into the garden waste bin. They say it could lead to someone catching CJD...

I think it's a hangover from when you were allowed to select two stores.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Ahh, progress then.

Reply to
Andrew May

We used to be able to until the foot and mouth outbreak (or was it something else? Can't remember). Explanation from council was that the garden waste was taken to a farm and piled up for the 6 months in huge compost heaps.

Some change in the rules meant food waste was no longer allowed to be put onto farm land...

Darren

Reply to
dmc

At least 3 years :-)

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Halfrauds they just go and get it off the shelf, no evidence at all of any stock being reserved. It hasn't failed yet, but when it does I'm going to create merry hell and demand they pay my petrol costs for a wasted journey.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Same with PC World, IME.