Titian Drill Chuck

Hello,

I have a 1100W corded Titian hammer drill I bought from Screwfix a few year= s ago. The keyed chuck does not hold drill bits properly now when drilling = through anything a bit tough. I think this is due to wear of the chuck. I b= elieve that generic spare chucks for drills are available, so I tried to re= move the old chuck as a first step towards fixing the drill. I seemed to re= member reading that to remove a chuck one opens it all the way, which revea= ls the retaining grub-screw. I can not find such a grub-screw for this chuc= k.

I have looked at a couple of other, smaller, drills I have and can easily f= ind their screw. But for the Titian, nothing. I did try to unscrew the body= of the drill to see if the chuck could be removed that way, and count myse= lf very, very, lucky I only opened it slightly and was able to reassemble i= t again (so many cogs!).

Does anyone have any suggestions about the chuck?

TIA

Reply to
chade

ago. The keyed chuck does not hold drill bits properly now when drilling through anything a bit tough. I think this is due to wear of the chuck. I believe that generic spare chucks for drills are available, so I tried to remove the old chuck as a first step towards fixing the drill. I seemed to remember reading that to remove a chuck one opens it all the way, which reveals the retaining grub-screw. I can not find such a grub-screw for this chuck.

their screw. But for the Titian, nothing. I did try to unscrew the body of the drill to see if the chuck could be removed that way, and count myself very, very, lucky I only opened it slightly and was able to reassemble it again (so many cogs!).

Stick the chuck handle in and tap it with a hammer?

Reply to
GB

That would be my first thought, although make sure to tap it in the opposite direction to its normal rotation, as that should unscrew it from the spindle. I don't recall when I last saw a chuck that had a separate screw in the bottom holding it in place.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Thats how I have done it in the past (not titan though)

Reply to
ss

ago. The keyed chuck does not hold drill bits properly now when drilling through anything a bit tough. I think this is due to wear of the chuck. I believe that generic spare chucks for drills are available, so I tried to remove the old chuck as a first step towards fixing the drill. I seemed to remember reading that to remove a chuck one opens it all the way, which reveals the retaining grub-screw. I can not find such a grub-screw for this chuck.

their screw. But for the Titian, nothing. I did try to unscrew the body of the drill to see if the chuck could be removed that way, and count myself very, very, lucky I only opened it slightly and was able to reassemble it again (so many cogs!).

You've got a Titian? Hit the chuck key very firmly, anti-clockwise with a Caravaggio.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

ago. The keyed chuck does not hold drill bits properly now when drilling through anything a bit tough. I think this is due to wear of the chuck. I believe that generic spare chucks for drills are available, so I tried to remove the old chuck as a first step towards fixing the drill. I seemed to remember reading that to remove a chuck one opens it all the way, which reveals the retaining grub-screw. I can not find such a grub-screw for this chuck.

find their screw. But for the Titian, nothing. I did try to unscrew the body of the drill to see if the chuck could be removed that way, and count myself very, very, lucky I only opened it slightly and was able to reassemble it again (so many cogs!).

Be very careful not to get embroiled in a fight with a Caravaggio - warrants are probably still outstanding. :-)

Reply to
polygonum

ago. The keyed chuck does not hold drill bits properly now when drilling through anything a bit tough. I think this is due to wear of the chuck. I believe that generic spare chucks for drills are available, so I tried to remove the old chuck as a first step towards fixing the drill. I seemed to remember reading that to remove a chuck one opens it all the way, which reveals the retaining grub-screw. I can not find such a grub-screw for this chuck.

find their screw. But for the Titian, nothing. I did try to unscrew the body of the drill to see if the chuck could be removed that way, and count myself very, very, lucky I only opened it slightly and was able to reassemble it again (so many cogs!).

Which will inevitably mean involving a Constable.

Reply to
rbel

If not a Sargeant.

Reply to
Bob Eager

[...]

Put an 8mm allen key in the chuck With the drill facing away from you adjust the location of the chuck (in low gear if fitted) so the allen key sticks out to the right. Using a percussive instrument of nail torture clout the fu**er in a downward motion Await the chuck unscrewing or your wrist breaking Whichever is the most preferable

Reply to
Nthkentman

ago. The keyed chuck does not hold drill bits properly now when drilling through anything a bit tough. I think this is due to wear of the chuck. I believe that generic spare chucks for drills are available, so I tried to remove the old chuck as a first step towards fixing the drill. I seemed to remember reading that to remove a chuck one opens it all the way, which reveals the retaining grub-screw. I can not find such a grub-screw for this chuck.

their screw. But for the Titian, nothing. I did try to unscrew the body of the drill to see if the chuck could be removed that way, and count myself very, very, lucky I only opened it slightly and was able to reassemble it again (so many cogs!).

Titian you say?

You need a 16th Century Italian drill expert.

Reply to
The Other Mike

Should have bought a Bosch. Or a Turner.

Reply to
polygonum

If successful, the chuck will be a Turner, after all.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

That is how my old black and decker one comes off, note that obviously the way to tap it is to the opposite way to the direction it tightens up when you drill with it.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

IME wear on chucks is often caused by some thick bastard hanging out of the chuck key trying to tighten the bit via one hole location only.

Advice I was given was use at least two of the chuck key locations if not all three.

Now I, and I'm sure most of the cognoscenti on this forum, understand the logic behind this advice but I have never been able to convey it to certain types.

Reply to
fred

chuck key trying to tighten the bit via one hole location only.

logic behind this advice but I have never been able to convey it to certain types.

I'm obviously not one of the cognoscenti then. (no parlo italiano) Why?

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

I'd also say that from what I've learned from more recent buyers of drills, chucks aint like they used to be, they tend not to last, apparently. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

In message , Brian Gaff writes

I wonder if our fondness of cheap drill sets has some responsibility?

Bits commonly have hard shanks nowadays. My acquired from industry (ahem) drill bits have tempered shanks and are less likely to damage chucks when the inevitable jam occurs.

Removing burrs and straightening bits is an art form:-)

Reply to
Tim Lamb

chuck key trying to tighten the bit via one hole location only.

logic behind this advice but I have never been able to convey it to certain types.

Tightening on one hole causes racking

Reply to
fred

In my book racking is either a sort of shelving, or what you do to Guy Fawkes. Keep going please!

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ