Tired looking decking

I have to "treat" a large decking area so it looks better than it does now. It is in good condition with no apparent problems .. just needs waking up .. so to speak. Likewise the garden lap panel fences.

What should I be looking for on the decking before I treat and how is it best to put on any applications.

Looking at some seb sites, power washing is reccomended first.

Any info would be gratefully received.

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

Pressure washing will get all the muck off, but two things to be mindful of - don't use too harsh a jet or get it too close because you can raise the grain or mark the surface and work in a methodical way, it can be difficult to see where you have been on a wet deck.

Alternatively, litre of Tesco thick bleach in bucket of water, scrub with stiff broom, rinse with garden hose or pressure washer.

I prefer decking oil to stain because it retains a natural look. Easy & quck to apply as well. I use a paint roller tray & a soft broom to apply it.

Two coats on a newly cleaned deck it will look a treat.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman