Tips on using Epoxy Grout?

Does it smell as bad as other two part epoxies? I want to use it in a small cloakroom with only a small opening window. Any tips for using it besides what is in the instructions? I'm not sure I can finish the job in the 1 hr specified before it goes off so plan to mix half the quantity and then do the same again.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

No. But it's still something you'll want to ventilate.

So why use epoxy ? It's expensive and awkward to work with. Unless I _need_ the stain resistance or the abrasion resistance, then I wouldn't bother with it.

Pot life is a bit longer than claimed, but this is the working time including cleaning it off the tiles, not just the time to get it into the gaps. The pot life has a long period where it has partly gelled and is too stiff to work easily, rather than it having set hard. But don't let it cure onto the tile's surface or you've got an awful job to shift it.

For most grouting I use a foam pan scourer. This just isn't tough enough for epoxy grouts - get a proper grout rubber from Axminster. You'll also want some clean _white_ canvas or linen as a dry polishing cloth afterwards.

I'd recommend that.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

My elderly father comes to visit once a week for the day. Unfortunately he has a lot of "accidents". He knows he needs to go and gets to the cloakroom OK but cannot then control the flow. SWMBO wanted ceramic tiles rather than off the roll vinyl or similar so I figured the stain resistance of epoxy would be worth the hassle.

Anyone have the same situation? Does ordinary grout cope?

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

Use a heavy duty rubber spreader (you can find them in B&Q) and a scotchbrite type scouring pad. A cool room will give you a little more time. I found it easier to clean off than normal grout in that, being stickier, it dosn't readily wash out of joints when cleaning up. Work in small areas until confident

Reply to
quisquiliae

Thanks. That gets my nomination for uk.diy tip of the year. 94p for the dpreader and 14p(!) for a pack of five value pan scrubbers from tesco. Job done.

MBQ

PS. and it doesn't really smell at all, nothing like any other two part epoxy I've used.

little more

Reply to
manatbandq

Hi,

Is epoxy grout much different to normal grout in applying it, and does the excess on the tiles clean off OK?

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

I used it for the first time at the weekend. I found it much runnier than ordinary grout but that may have been because I tried to mix only half the quantity and may have got the proportion of hardener wrong. I just followed the instructions and found it no more difficult than ordinary grout.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

My experience using Ardipox WA on a worktop and some other (Dunlop?) brand on a shower room wall:

Epoxy is sticky, rather like heavy treacle and although ordinary ready mixed grouts vary in viscosity, epoxy tends to be of a stiffer consistency.

I was very pleased with the workability of the Ardipox on the worktop. With a heavy duty (~5mm thick) rubber squeegee I could use two handed pressure to force it into the joints and wipe it off the surface of the tiles. That left a thin sticky film that lifted off when scrubbed with the scotchbrite pad and water. After that it just needs wiping with a damp sponge to polish off the excess water.

Reply to
quisquiliae

Hi,

Thanks for the replies, I take it the film on the tiles has to be removed before the grout sets!

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

Yes, especially with epoxy. With ordinary grout, if the film left when the tiles are dry doesn't polish off with a cloth you can use grout remover (acid) to dissolve it away. Once epoxy sets you won't shift it. OTOH polish the tiles with a damp cloth before the epoxy goes off to ensure no residual stickiness of the surface and when it's all dry the finish is perfect.

Reply to
quisquiliae