tips on painting panel doors

I have always taken my panel doors off to paint them. However I would like to paint them in situe. Any tips please on making sure the paint does not run?

Reply to
Broadback

don't put too much on? use non drip gloss?

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

Real panel doors were not designed to be painted. Paint will glue the panels into the frame and stop them from being able to move as the humidity changes, resulting in the panels splitting. If you are going to paint panel doors, start off with one-piece molded versions.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Multiple thin coats - individually they won't obliterate the base colour. Expect to need 2 or 3.

IME use solvent-based paint because you can keep brushing this out to remove any runs take a little time to form. Water-based paints have to be applied, laid off and not touched again.

Alex

Reply to
Alexander Lamaison

I agree painted my doors with water based...never again, you got to be quick putting it on with the correct amount first time. maybe those experienced using water base get a better result but I certainly prefer oil based.

Reply to
ss

nonsense - the 4 panel doors in my 1897 house were oil-grained and varnished when installed. They move but it doesn't show unless you use gloss paint which tears or use white paint. Gloss should never be used indoors on older woodwork. Flat oil paint is the nearest to the original.

Reply to
Geoff Pearson

White gloss WILL yellow as I found out :-( Use water based and a little roller.

Reply to
Mr Pounder

If the paint runs from the corners of the panels (which it does), just run the brush over them again before they dry. Can't really see the problem tbh

Reply to
stuart noble

Make sure you lay off _vertically_.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Last ones I did, I used water-based paint (Johnstone's) and they came out well. I found that adding just a few drops of water made a considerable difference - came out much smoother and generally better finish.

Reply to
polygonum

Yes.

Reply to