Tips for painting skirting without getting paint onto new laminate flooring?

That's the stuff I mentioned before. Here:

Bob Eager

Mr Pounder

replying to Woodworm, anjela simpson wrote: I cant get masking tape to stick to my lino flooring,so I can paint my skirting boards,?

Reply to
anjela simpson

Well this thread has whiskers, but as this is in fact a new post, I guess I'll answer. I can only say this, if you use decent masking tape it should stick enough to stop the paint problem. You don't want it to stick so hard that the problem then is left over glue and bits of masking tape. If you have waxed the laminate that might be why its not adhering very well. It will need a clean and dry around the part you need the tape to stick to. I have to say there is no 100 percent way to avoid paint on the laminate as paint can get on the painter and be transferred to the floor. The best you can do is look very carefully after every session and clean it up before it goes hard. This takes me back many years to when my eyes worked, I have to say painting skirting boards is one task I do not miss one bit! Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Often the problem with making tape is its age. In my experience traditional masking tape has a short shelf life where the properties of the glue remain viable. Try some fresh tape or consider some of the other types of tape.

alan_m

I've been using pro-dec tape and it sticks to everything that isn't dusty - even carpet!

Well enough to protect against a paint brush anyway.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The problem I get with masking tape is that paint tends to seep between the tape and the wall that is being protected, or else when you remove the tape after the paint has dried, it takes off flakes of paint on the wall where you want it because the paint has set in a meniscus that spans the wall and the tape. Is the advice usually to remove the tape before the paint has dried?

Reply to
NY

Or run a blade along the join? Probably helps to not paint next to the tape with a fully loaded brush.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

use good tape well pressed down..

or else when you remove

yes.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yes

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

Another option is cut a plastic bottle into strips. Shove em under, paint, pull out. Either don't paint enough to cause dripping, or leave em until until drip risk over.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I've used slats from old venetian blinds.

Reply to
S Viemeister

platic inserts in binders work

Reply to